Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) there's more than one breaker
2) hire someone
I found the right breaker. For my house hvac = outside and furnace = attic unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Are you sure it is your AC and not a whole house attic fan?
Frankly not sure of the difference...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Typically there is a switch on the unit if you head to the attic you can shut it off for a mi it’s and then back on to see if it resets itself.

Also check your thermostats and see if any are set for Fan ON, that will keep it running as well.
I couldn't find a switch on the unit. Yes all thermo are set on auto

Either way, I just hired professionals that will be coming today, this seems difficult...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
post the findings for us

Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
post the findings for us
Professionals came, they said it's my Goodman furnace/air handling unit control board is broken. They said they first thought it had to do with the thermostat/zoning control since that's what controls the air flow. They did process of elimination and totally removed the thermostat/zoning control so everything should be off. However, the Goodman furnace/air handling unit kept blowing air, which is not normal. They said the control board is broken and needs to be replaced.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Professionals came, they said it's my Goodman furnace/air handling unit control board is broken. They said they first thought it had to do with the thermostat/zoning control since that's what controls the air flow. They did process of elimination and totally removed the thermostat/zoning control so everything should be off. However, the Goodman furnace/air handling unit kept blowing air, which is not normal. They said the control board is broken and needs to be replaced.
Wow, that's weird. Never heard of that.

Just fyi: If the blower uses electricity, it is impossible for it to run, if you shut off the power to it. So whatever breaker you used must not have included this unit.

Tip: In future, if something doesn't shut off, go ahead and shut off the whole house breaker. Wait a bit and turn it back on. May have to do that twice, and be sure you flip it totally.

But I'm glad you got the answer and someone to fix it.

Next time, while you wait or a service cal, Google the problem, and you'll probably get info right away. That way, you'll at least know if the service guy tells you generally the correct thing. I Googled this and saw that it would be something related to the control board right away. https://arnoldservice.com/problem-yo...-not-shut-off/

Here's a Youtube video about the blower fan in attic not shutting off and how to troubleshoot. https://youtu.be/fxRB4MVFOuo

There are several. https://youtu.be/HIWECzCI-Wg is another one.

There's nothing worse than a broken a/c in the summer. I just went through that. Boy, it was hot for a couple of days. It's old, so I can hope I can keep it running thru this summer.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:00 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
that is what i meant by to much stuff electronically controlled today . there is just no way to troubleshoot it like the old days short of being there and substitution if you can . .

Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Our attic fan stays on 24 7.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:22 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,565 times
Quote:
They said the control board is broken and needs to be replaced.
Makes perfect sense. After they replace the board, hopefully they'll be able to determine WHY the failure happened...bad capacitor or motor drawing too many amps causing the relay to stick closed.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Our attic fan stays on 24 7.
Seriously? Why?!?!? Sounds like a complete waste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Makes perfect sense. After they replace the board, hopefully they'll be able to determine WHY the failure happened...bad capacitor or motor drawing too many amps causing the relay to stick closed.
So everyone I must make a very important update - I called the company that installed my HVAC unit since I was told they are the ones that can warranty it. However, they told me everything sounds normal. They said these new energy efficient homes have a fresh air unit that should be running more or less all the time. I told them this doesn't make sense - I have lived in this new home for 3 years, this issue has never arose until this past week. Either way, they said in order to warranty/order any parts, they must send their own people to come and diagnosis the issue. Now I have to hire a second professional...

Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Seriously? Why?!?!? Sounds like a complete waste...

So everyone I must make a very important update
Sounds like there's nothing to be diagnosed or fixed
but rather you need to have the 'system' explained to you.

Listen carefully, take notes and photo's.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Our house is 3 years old also and when we first moved in, the fan always stayed on also. I even kept the fan on auto and it was just on constantly. Our HVAC dealer said that newer houses have a Fresh Air Ventilation System to keep it to the current code. But he says that during very cold and hot months, this actually wastes energy because it will warm up the house in NC summers, for example. So I went down to the crawlspace and turned it off. We have a Honeywell Fresh Air System with an on/off switch. Now mine functions regularly and the fan turns on and off according to the compressor.

Check this link and scroll down to the bottom where it says Fresh Air Ventilation System.
https://forwardthinking.honeywell.co..._products.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House