Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM

133 posts, read 713,098 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the typical cost to change a 1 zone home to a 2 zone home for heating and ac. We have a 3k sq foot home and was wondering how much it would cost approx to make it into 2 zones ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,851 times
I don't know if this will be helpful...

We have 4400 sf and are putting in two units (upstairs/downstairs). The estimate we got was about $5000. We don't live in a really hot area so your units might need to be larger than ours. I think we were quoted for one 3 ton and one 2 ton unit.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM

185 posts, read 967,201 times
My home has 3 central air systems and I only installed zone control on one system. I may have overpaid, but my zone control system was $5000. This split one central air system into 2 zones, one for master bedroom, other for my office. This basically added an extra thermastat, a computer board, and some duct work. Works incrdedibly well and saves on utilities.

I also had a zone control system installed for my duplex rental, and that was $3500. Same parts which included extra thermastat, a computer board, and some duct work. I suppose the parts were < $1k and the rest was labor.

If the person above, "Niners fan", is getting the compressors & furnaces in addition to the zone control system then he/she must have some of major discount somehow. From my experience, the compressor alone can run $5,000 for a high effeciency unit.

P.S.: This thread belongs in the housing forum.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
If the person above, "Niners fan", is getting the compressors & furnaces in addition to the zone control system then he/she must have some of major discount somehow. From my experience, the compressor alone can run $5,000 for a high effeciency unit.
That's true. Our furnaces are fairly new and were set up so that we basically only have to add the outside units for A/C. I didn't think about that.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Let's first clarify a couple of things.
What you're wanting to do is change the forced air system you currently have from one system to two systems that each operate on a different floor (?).
As opposed to changing a system (one system for whole house) from one zone to 2+ zones (?).

If you're adding another system- splitting the existing system, cost will have a lot of variables, duct work to split system, gas line (or electrical curcuit), line-set length, where the system will be located (basement or attic), and of course size (tonnage).
But if you're talking about zoning the existing system- making 2 or 3 zones then you're looking at somewhere in the $2500- $3500 range. Other than the electronics (circuit board, t/stat) it's the dampers and their placement (running the wire).
So, which way do you want to go?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
If you are replacing your ducting it is not too bad. We paid $300 for each additioanl zone that we wanted.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 76,241 times
hi
im looking ta find out bout zoned heating systems,
advantages and disadvantages installation methods and operation methods, any help or link wud be great
thanks

Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
I've got all these pdf's- but they're to big for C-D, so I always have to hunt for them again on the 'net- anyway:
pdf link for zone systems:

http://www.zonefirst.com/products/DesignManual.pdf

It's pretty complete. And fairly understandable if you have any mechanical thought process.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 61,094 times
A different twist...12 year old house...looking to add a zone to control heat in two rooms (Master bedroom/Bath...~ 600 ft) that got shorted when we installed a wood buring insert. Understand the existing system would need splitting but furnace placement is directly below the room so wouldn't need a whole lot of duct work or gas line. Am looking for a contractor ball park...please help

Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
Picking up on K'lege's point.....

It depends on the duct work you have and might need installed....and as he said do you want ONE system with two ZONES....
...or two SYSTEMS for separate areas.

I just had a new Carrier infinity system - furnace and AC - installed. Thermostat is in the LR. I asked about having two zones. (My 2nd floor is SEVERAL degrees hotter than downstairs) My contractor said I didn't have the duct work for it. so basically no way to do it...unless of course I want to do major contruction and installation of ductwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House