Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,680,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I know they exist even by Pella and Andersen....but I work in other people's homes and have never seen a wood window.

Even when I worked in houses from the early last century.

Our house was built in 1971 and has wood framed windows. We can paint them any color we want but they do require repainting every 6-10 years.

Affordable windows are vinyl. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot with changes in temperature. White does not absorb heat as readily as other colors and so doesn't expand as much, risking breaking a seal. It also happens to go with most other colors and is popular. That's why most windows are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I'm in FL, too.

OK, first, even Pella and Andersen don't offer JUST total wood - "stain grade wood" because it's not as durable.

Besides the "wood" and composites, they also offer vinyl and other options.

Who made your windows? They're just 100% wood?

All the builders here offer hurricane impact windows, too in those "cheap" houses.

Really?

Outside of windows are green aluminum- forgot the qualifier there. They're by Jeld-Wenn. We went with them because their green option went slightly better with the brick than the Anderson green color aluminum/vinyl option, Pella was coming off a bad stretch of their windows not holding up well in coastal conditions, and the local Marvin dealer option flaked out on us.

I'm up in the Panhandle where people are less concerned with windstorm than they are in south Florida, so impact windows are not as common- the McBuilders typically stash precut plywood in your garage attic to meet that part of the state building code rather than install impact glass or shutters.

As for the green and brick, it's a 1980s brick ranch house (we love a lot about out neighborhood, whether its many brick homes are 'dated' or not)and we work with that. Call it 'dated' if you want, but we fell like it's a warm and inviting home and get a ton of spontaneous compliments on how we've modernized the place while staying true to 'the bones' of it. Even the weird stone planter in the foyer that rotates between being where the Christmas tree goes and serving as an oversized cat bed the other 10.5 months a year.

The floors- aluminum oxide finish, and we picked a color we both loved at time or purchase and would morph into something we'd still love as the sun slightly changed the floor colors in the rooms where we got good light through the windows. It's still a nicely aggressive red-brown 5+ years later.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Our house was built in 1971 and has wood framed windows. We can paint them any color we want but they do require repainting every 6-10 years.

Affordable windows are vinyl. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot with changes in temperature. White does not absorb heat as readily as other colors and so doesn't expand as much, risking breaking a seal. It also happens to go with most other colors and is popular. That's why most windows are white.
Every house in my area built after 1965 or so had aluminum windows... they were originally all silver, then around 1978 they started making them in bronze, and they stayed that way until the mid 90’s when they went to white. I don’t think vinyl started being heavily used here until the early 2000’s.

Wood windows are certainly easier to replace though, the aluminum ones usually have that flange nailed to the framing behind the brick, so you’ve got to tear them apart to get them out.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times
Nowadays you can buy this revolutionary product that allows you to change the color of something that is a color you don't like.

It's called...

paint

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Nowadays you can buy this revolutionary product that allows you to change the color of something that is a color you don't like.

It's called...

paint
I don’t know how well normal paint will adhere to vinyl, besides nowadays most have the grids between the glass, so you couldn’t get to those anyhow.

Mine have some type of coating on them that has a ten year warranty against fading, but I’m not sure if it’s paint. They are bronze outside but white inside.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:12 AM

141 posts, read 288,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

It's called...

paint
You may want to be careful about painting vinyl windows. I was told that painting them (especially with a dark color) would void the warranty because they expand and contract more in direct sunlight and thus are more likely to warp or bow. Not that their warranties are all that good to begin with.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Marvin still makes good quality wood windows. You can paint them any color you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House