Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
$2k for the windows? How much for the labor? The labor is the major part of the cost.

The windows in the homes I looked at aren't at Lowe's or H.D. They were extra tall...special order. The size of a door.

15 windows. If each window costs $500, that's $7,500 just for the windows. At least double that for the labor to remove old windows and install new. $15,000. My last house had 18 windows of varying, special order sizes, too. Well, four were standard size, but the rest were special order. One was tiny. The quote from Lowe's was $15,000 (4 years ago).

Something for people to think about when they go to sell a home. If the seals are broken, the potential owners will look at the cost of replacing all those windows. If the seals are breaking on some, they'll be breaking on the others.

It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a window that is good for only 10 or 20 years. It's frustrating running across these defective windows.

8 windows in the last house I rehabbed & 10 in my primary residence - I hired a local handyman to slam in the windows in the rehab, and did the ones in my primary residence myself, over a couple of weekends. I paid $125 a piece for the handyman to install the ones in the rehab, and he did them all in a day (by himself!) so I figure I prolly paid too much, so I did the ones in my primary residence myself. Installing windows isn't a big deal, and if you're paying $7500 for a crew of a couple of laborers to install a houseful of windows in a single day, you're likely paying too much. My windows were all "custom sized", that isn't a big deal in and of itself - at least one of those windows was under a hundred bucks, and the most expensive window was arch-topped / "mulled together" had decorative grilles, was tinted & was also 6ft wide & 7 feet tall & came in at about $800.

As for them "only being good for 10-20 years", the crappy single-pane aluminum windows lasted 30 plus years, so I'd expect most people would / will live with them even if they fog at some point in the future. Lots of "helpless" people out there today, and it seems we're making more "helpless" people by the trainload every day. The one defining character of "intelligent" life is that sentient beings are *supposed* to be able to *change* their environment to make it suitable. I can't figure out how to make a lunar-lander myself, but I can run a sawzall & a caulk-gun & I think most people could do the same, but perhaps I'm just "exceptional", lol. I can put a couple new bathrooms, a new kitchen, all new flooring & a full interior repaint in a 1100 sq ft house in my area for under $15k just by working my "checkbook" muscle ( I.e., hiring it all done).. Again, perhaps I'm an exceptional shopper, or perhaps you're buying things the wrong way. (And having stuff done by lowes installers is the wrong way, btw).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:32 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
$2k for the windows? How much for the labor? The labor is the major part of the cost.

The windows in the homes I looked at aren't at Lowe's or H.D. They were extra tall...special order. The size of a door.

15 windows. If each window costs $500, that's $7,500 just for the windows. At least double that for the labor to remove old windows and install new. $15,000. My last house had 18 windows of varying, special order sizes, too. Well, four were standard size, but the rest were special order. One was tiny. The quote from Lowe's was $15,000 (4 years ago).

Something for people to think about when they go to sell a home. If the seals are broken, the potential owners will look at the cost of replacing all those windows. If the seals are breaking on some, they'll be breaking on the others.

It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a window that is good for only 10 or 20 years. It's frustrating running across these defective windows.
Labor will run about $150/window. The ignorance tax will run another $15,000. I briefly worked for a "window" outfit once. I couldn't believe how badly they reamed the homeowner. Window replacement is a scam. If you want to replace windows, do not call anybody who advertises window replacement! They will chop the old window out with a sawzall and stuff an undersized replacement into the opening. Any competent carpenter can replace a window in a wood frame house, including trim, in a couple of hours. If you figure $75/hour for labor, that's $150.

The exception is if you have a concrete block, brick or stucco exterior wall. Masonry is notoriously difficult to remodel.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 AM

531 posts, read 453,184 times
I was quoted (last year) $24,000 for replacement single-pane wood windows (M*rvin brand) delivered to the site, not installed. For 32 windows, that's about $400 per sash.
My Mom's house was built in 1997 with A*dersen double-pane wood windows. After ten years the gas all leaked out. You could tell by putting your finger on the inside glass and noticing that it was as cold as it was outside. I'm told this always happens and is not covered by any lifetime warranty. The quality was otherwise good.
The house I'm in now was built in 1883 with lots of eight-foot-tall windows. They've been painted and caulked shut. The ones I've freed don't leak cold air, but you can feel it falling off the glass of every window. However, the heating bill is quite acceptable. I'm considering inside storms; if anybody can recommend a brand, let me know. A 4x8 piece of Plexiglas costs $100 at the local big-box store.
A problem with any replacement plastic window is that it is thicker than a traditional double-hung, so it is either nearly flush with the outside of the wall, which looks funny and prevents the use of original storms or screens, or is flush with the inside window casing, which means cutting away the stool and looks funny on the inside.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Our windows are up to 180 years old and still work fine. The ones that are a problem are the new ones we bought in 2007. We need to get those replaced.

Marvin makes a decent historical reproduction window called the Marvin Ultimate Double hung window. That is what we will put in when we replace the "new" ones.

I cannot imagine what it would cost to replace all of our windows. I think we have 44 windows give or take (quick count in my head).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-23-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 08:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Labor will run about $150/window. The ignorance tax will run another $15,000. I briefly worked for a "window" outfit once. I couldn't believe how badly they reamed the homeowner. Window replacement is a scam. If you want to replace windows, do not call anybody who advertises window replacement! They will chop the old window out with a sawzall and stuff an undersized replacement into the opening. Any competent carpenter can replace a window in a wood frame house, including trim, in a couple of hours. If you figure $75/hour for labor, that's $150.

The exception is if you have a concrete block, brick or stucco exterior wall. Masonry is notoriously difficult to remodel.
I'm currently remodeling a rental that had some fire damage and I replaced all of the windows myself. Twelve of them were 36x42 and the living room window was a big picture window. I ordered the Reliabilt vinyl replacements from Lowes (made by Atrium) with low-e for a total of around $1700. The old windows were wood so they were very easy to replace using the original framing.

I wasn't able to replace the windows in my own home myself due to the fact that's it's brick veneer, and the original aluminum windows had nail flanges behind the brick. That was a little too involved for me, and it ran about $6k.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:39 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Does the carpenter give a warranty on the job? Where do you find a carpenter that specializes in replacing windows? That sounds odd.

I know I could find a handyman...but I suspect that's one reason so many of the windows I've seen have gone bad...poor installation. Or low quality windows ($150/window). Or both.

Good quality windows are gonna run $500 each for those tall windows, double pane, and double that for installation with a warranty, which includes removal of old windows and hauling away debris and old windows.

Having had an old house for decades, I figured out where I could use handymen for cut rates, and where I needed to use pros with warranties. Windows - that's a pro job. Patching a small area of roof - handyman job. Painting - handyman or me. A/C unit - pro job. Big plumbing issue - pro job. Small plumbing issue - me. New light fixtures or ceiling fans - me or handyman. New exterior door and hardware - pro job. New threshold - handyman. New wood flooring - pro. New small bath tile flooring - me. New backsplash tile - me or handyman. New countertop - pro. New heavy sink - handyman. New faucet - me.

Whatever house I get, if I have to replace the windows, I'm going to figure out which ones will last as long the house (with maintenance) and get those. And that's it. No more worries about windows.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:21 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Soft Lite, Sunrise, and Okna windows are the most recommended. I'm still in research mode and mostly posting this so I remember these brands. It looks like I may have access to sunrise around here, otherwise it's stuff like Lindsey, Andersen (overpriced), Hurd, Richland, Windsor, Heartland... brands without much online research behind them so I'd have to dig into their specifications and construction quality.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Exclamation By who?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Soft Lite, Sunrise, and Okna windows are the most recommended. I'm still in research mode and mostly posting this so I remember these brands. It looks like I may have access to sunrise around here, otherwise it's stuff like Lindsey, Andersen (overpriced), Hurd, Richland, Windsor, Heartland... brands without much online research behind them so I'd have to dig into their specifications and construction quality.
The brands you quote as "most recommended" are ones I've only ever seen in trash heaps!

The brand you suggest is "overpriced" is well regarded by independent testing / rating, consistently among the top choice of custom builders / remodeling firms and highly regarded as responsive.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The brands you quote as "most recommended" are ones I've only ever seen in trash heaps!

The brand you suggest is "overpriced" is well regarded by independent testing / rating, consistently among the top choice of custom builders / remodeling firms and highly regarded as responsive.
Tell me more.... I've been visiting various window/contractor forums trying to learn before I buy. How are pella and Lowes house brand? What would be a reasonably priced alternative to Andersen? Give me 3 good brands comparable to Andersen.

Okna 800s are really trash heap quality? What about sunrise restorations?

My home I bought has old 1977 Andersen series windows... 200s I think... Contemplating how badly I even need to replace them as they still seal well but I ain't spending 10 grand.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-24-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 08:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Vinyl is a not structurally compatible with how homes are framed...

There are lots of firms that have promoted cheap vinyl windows. Many of these firms have aggressive sales forces that use unethical practices such as fake online accounts.

Andersen makes their windows out of wood and then wraps that wood in vinyl for longevity -- very durable & compatible with home framing! Pella & Marvin use similar wood construction with aluminum cladding. Ditto for Loewen.

Andersen also offers Renewal windows with hybrid "fibrex" frames -- fiberglass reinforcement is much stronger than vinyl!

Less costly options include Lincoln and other regional offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House