Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,773,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBlake View Post
Well, we've seen a lot of negative comments about EDENPURE online. And have come to the conclusion we must be "freaks." because we L-O-V-E our EDENPURE HEATER.

This is our fourth (4th) season to use our EDENPURE. It has performed very well for us. We have a lot of drafty places in our house and especially our den, where we stay most of the time. EDENPURE helps to keep us very comfortable. My grandson even plays on the stone floor near the EDENPURE and stays very warm.

I think that the problem with some not getting the same results is that they are depending on the EDENPURE as a "sole" source of heat; which is fine for a single room alone with the door closed. Or they are using the smaller heater to do the job that requires the LARGER heater. The smaller heater is fine for a bathroom, but not sufficient for other larger rooms with doors open.

When we purchased our EDENPURE, in January, 2007, the ads indicated that it performed best if used "after" the home has been warmed with the regular heating system. It truly DID NOT COST us any more to heat our home, even when the EDENPURE IS LEFT ON THE ENTIRE TIME WE ARE UP. We shut it off when we go to bed. We have a central air/heat pump. Our thermostat is kept on 70 degrees all winter. Using it alone, the unit comes on quite often, but using the EDENPURE keeps it from coming on as much, which results in warmer rooms at no more cost and sometimes less cost. I have NEVER seen the EDENPURE run our electric bill up one iota. But, I know without it, our bill would be higher and our house would be colder. We are on a plan with the Power Company for budgeting our bill annually. Our power bill is never more than $149, which is in the summer for air conditioning...less in winter, which we do attribute to the help we get from using our EDENPURE. AND, WHAT'S MORE, WE DO NOT EVEN SET OUR EDENPURE THERMOSTAT ABOVE THE "COMFORT ZONE" LEVEL. We used it on the "WARMER" setting at first and found it to be too warm for our comfort.

Our den was added and we had no way of connecting the existing heating system to it. It has a fireplace which is used only in emergencies when power goes out. We placed our EDENPURE in the den, and close the door to our den at night when we go to bed. The temperature in there drops significantly 15-20 degrees from rest of house on winter nights. In the mornings we go in and turn on our EDENPURE and close the door again. In 10 minutes the chill is broken and time coffee and cereal is ready, we can open the den door and go in comfortably. The den door is left open for the rest of the day and till around midnight each evening. The temperature equalizes out with the rest of the house before we know it. And our EDENPURE helps to "HOLD" the temperature throughout a comfortable 70 degrees the entire day and evening. THE CENTRAL HEAT PUMP IS NOT KICKING ON SO OFTEN. That means we are saving money. And the warmth is a surprisingly clean, pure all over comforting warmth.

We are about to purchase two more of the EDENPURE heaters, of the newest models, one LARGE for my son's house; and one SMALL for my grandson's playhouse. It is safe to use around children and pets; and our grandson has learned how to use it safely. We purchased a 10' x 16' storage building for his playhouse and know that a small EDENPURE will be just perfect for it. We set up our own little computer spot in there to stay with him while he plays with his trains, and we'll all be comfortable.

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTIONS AND YOU WILL GET BETTER RESULTS AND PLEASURE FROM YOUR EDENPURE. REMEMBER IT IS NOT A STAND ALONE HEATING SYSTEM FOR AN ENTIRE HOUSE, BUT IS A "HOLDING" THE TEMPERATURE SYSTEM ONCE THE HOUSE IS WARM. YOU WILL APPRECIATE IT FOR THAT!

AW Blake
Central Alabama

We bought a Duraflame Quartz heater, a different company makes it but same thing.

In last 34 days our electric bill compared to last yr at same time and temp we saved 50.00 on electric and our gas was 26.00 compared to 100.00 plus.

Our house is 836 sq. ft. and 110 yrs old, old windows, no insulation in walls, and just added R-30 in attic. We set gas furas at 70 and it only comes on in mornings around 5 am. We also use 2 small ceramic heaters. One in basement and one in bedroom.

We tried using ceramic heaters like our Duraflame and light bill for oct. to Nov. and warmer temps outside was 296.00. They only kept us warm when sitting right in front of them.

Ours has the fake fireplace look and remote, timer,etc. We paid 248.00 for ours including shipping from Northern tool magazine or website.

We love it and will get another for basement and don't agree with the naysayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I have two and sent my son two for his home. Sorry to say these heaters may heat your garage but they are NOT designed for that use at all. For your garage you need to look at industrial heaters or forget the idea.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree.
Unless the garage is super-insulated, super-small, and it doesn't get very cold outside, it basically won't do anything.

My tinkering garage is not well insulated (and stand-alone, so no walls against the house), I heat it just enough to get it so I don't freeze my knuckles and hands, and takes off the cold 'edge'. I run a 10kW electric heater that just makes it usable (with warm clothing). It requires a 220V 50A circuit. (I don't run it much, as it costs $1.70 an hour in electricity.)

Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBlake View Post
Well, we've seen a lot of negative comments about EDENPURE online. And have come to the conclusion we must be "freaks." because we L-O-V-E our EDENPURE HEATER.

This is our fourth (4th) season to use our EDENPURE. It has performed very well for us. We have a lot of drafty places in our house and especially our den, where we stay most of the time. EDENPURE helps to keep us very comfortable. My grandson even plays on the stone floor near the EDENPURE and stays very warm.

I think that the problem with some not getting the same results is that they are depending on the EDENPURE as a "sole" source of heat; which is fine for a single room alone with the door closed. Or they are using the smaller heater to do the job that requires the LARGER heater. The smaller heater is fine for a bathroom, but not sufficient for other larger rooms with doors open.

When we purchased our EDENPURE, in January, 2007, the ads indicated that it performed best if used "after" the home has been warmed with the regular heating system. It truly DID NOT COST us any more to heat our home, even when the EDENPURE IS LEFT ON THE ENTIRE TIME WE ARE UP. We shut it off when we go to bed. We have a central air/heat pump. Our thermostat is kept on 70 degrees all winter. Using it alone, the unit comes on quite often, but using the EDENPURE keeps it from coming on as much, which results in warmer rooms at no more cost and sometimes less cost. I have NEVER seen the EDENPURE run our electric bill up one iota. But, I know without it, our bill would be higher and our house would be colder. We are on a plan with the Power Company for budgeting our bill annually. Our power bill is never more than $149, which is in the summer for air conditioning...less in winter, which we do attribute to the help we get from using our EDENPURE. AND, WHAT'S MORE, WE DO NOT EVEN SET OUR EDENPURE THERMOSTAT ABOVE THE "COMFORT ZONE" LEVEL. We used it on the "WARMER" setting at first and found it to be too warm for our comfort.

Our den was added and we had no way of connecting the existing heating system to it. It has a fireplace which is used only in emergencies when power goes out. We placed our EDENPURE in the den, and close the door to our den at night when we go to bed. The temperature in there drops significantly 15-20 degrees from rest of house on winter nights. In the mornings we go in and turn on our EDENPURE and close the door again. In 10 minutes the chill is broken and time coffee and cereal is ready, we can open the den door and go in comfortably. The den door is left open for the rest of the day and till around midnight each evening. The temperature equalizes out with the rest of the house before we know it. And our EDENPURE helps to "HOLD" the temperature throughout a comfortable 70 degrees the entire day and evening. THE CENTRAL HEAT PUMP IS NOT KICKING ON SO OFTEN. That means we are saving money. And the warmth is a surprisingly clean, pure all over comforting warmth.

We are about to purchase two more of the EDENPURE heaters, of the newest models, one LARGE for my son's house; and one SMALL for my grandson's playhouse. It is safe to use around children and pets; and our grandson has learned how to use it safely. We purchased a 10' x 16' storage building for his playhouse and know that a small EDENPURE will be just perfect for it. We set up our own little computer spot in there to stay with him while he plays with his trains, and we'll all be comfortable.

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTIONS AND YOU WILL GET BETTER RESULTS AND PLEASURE FROM YOUR EDENPURE. REMEMBER IT IS NOT A STAND ALONE HEATING SYSTEM FOR AN ENTIRE HOUSE, BUT IS A "HOLDING" THE TEMPERATURE SYSTEM ONCE THE HOUSE IS WARM. YOU WILL APPRECIATE IT FOR THAT!

AW Blake
Central Alabama
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:" REMEMBER IT IS NOT A STAND ALONE HEATING SYSTEM FOR AN ENTIRE HOUSE, BUT IS A "HOLDING" THE TEMPERATURE SYSTEM ONCE THE HOUSE IS WARM."

Interesting. I would like to see your house. It's the closest thing to an adiabatic house I ever heard of. If it can 'hold' the temperature, then all you ever need to do bring the house up to temperature once with the furnace, turn on the Eden Pure, and then sell your furnace at a yardsale.

Can we get some other physicists/chem E/EE majors on this thread that understand the first thing about thermodynamics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House