Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
But land they can buy very cheap for cash right now. About 3-5K for an acre in semi-rural area. Even cheaper, depending on location.
Septic plus water would be a bigger expense though. For the electricity they can go solar and live off the grid.

But in a long term perspective that's not very good investment. If they want to live in a comfort. If they can afford 15-25K downpayment right now and 1K monthly payment, it's better to go with the regular starter house and FHA loan or even conventional loan.
I don't believe they can't find anything within 100-150K budget. Especially in Alabama. You still can find it in Houston area (pretty hot market).
Purchase and maintenance for a solar system to completely power a home is cost prohibitive. Plus it is not very reliable. If you want to live like people in the 1800s it is fine, but for a modern lifestyle it is not yet practical. You also have to be wealthy and willing to spend a fortune just for the novelty of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Too many variables to properly answer this question. Despite their reputation most manufactured homes will hold up just fine and are actually quite cheap to maintain.

Back in 2010 I bought one with an included 2 car garage for a really good price... well under what I make in a single year. I sold it because I didn't like commuting 30 minutes one way, but it really was nice.. spacious no next door neighbors, big yard. Part of me wishes I would have sucked it up and stayed there.

They have their disadvantages and they are hard to get mortgage loans for, but they can be a very inexpensive way to live. I would stick to a reasonably modern doublewide but for the right price take anything you think you can resell for a profit...

Old 04-07-2017, 10:28 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I haven't read all the posts, but VA loans don't require a down payment. Why not buy a very modest little fixer upper, and maybe in 5 years you can make some money on it. As someone else said a mobile home will not appreciate, so why waste any money on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House