Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 09:28 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever worked with or have any experience with these products. (by Abatron)

Specifically, how much time should elapse after the repaid before it rains?

I want to do a lower door jam repair this Wed. but rain is forecast for Thursday (morning, I think, but it's too far out to get an hourly forecast.)

I'm hoping if I do the repair by noon Wednesday…..that rain early Thursday is not too soon.
It is an epoxy so it actually should be cured by then…

…what do you think, can I go for it?

Thanks

I live out of state from this house, so can only get time to make the repair about once a month. Timing that days off visit for when there' no rain for days before and days after has been difficult. So that's part of the reason I'm trying to squeeze it in this week. And of course thursday is the ONLY day this week it's suppose to rain!! AARRGH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
It's a chemical bonding so it will dry pretty quickly (especially in summer weather) You should probably wait at least 24 hours before prepping for paint but it would not be an issue if it gets wet a few hours later.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Thanks, that's excellent. I called Abatron. The person I spoke to suggested:

-- covering the repair with plastic, if I were concerned about it, and/or….
-- using a hair dryer or heat lamp to speed curing

I'm going to go for it. (and watch the forecast)
If I wait, I don't know when I'll get the stretch of dry days I need -- when I can do the repair.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
I've used Abatron before. It dries very quickly, but I think it takes a while to fully cure. Covering with plastic should work fine.
I have also used a product made by Bondo for wood. It sets up super fast (too fast if you mix more than you can use in less than 3 minutes).

Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 AM

268 posts, read 344,953 times
I saw on This Old House (or some other TV show, forget which one) where they used auto body filler on some woodpecker holes.

The stuff works great, can be sanded easily, and is hard as rock after it cures.

Another thing: it is CHEAP

I use it all the time now and am very happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House