Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,861 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to live in a houseboat, does anyone know the pros and cons of it, and how I find out where is a good place to buy, or even live in one.....!!!! Would like to live in it year-round also.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 07:15 AM

54 posts, read 311,195 times
I've often wondered about that too!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:59 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
There are communities of houseboats up in Sausalito, California and I believe they have something like 400 houseboats there on Richardson Bay. Sausalito, if you've never been there, is a small town of about 7500 just to the northeast of the Golden Gate Bridge across the bay from San Francisco. It's gorgeous because while the City is shrouded in cold fog in the summer, Sausalito is usually sunny and the architecture is beautiful, the ferries from SF come in there, and there are many restaurants built on the waterfront, etc. It's sure a pretty place, extremely charming.
The other place that comes to my mind is the Pugent Sound area of Seattle. I think there's a large community of houseboats up there too with great city views.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:20 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
There are houseboat communities in the south around Nasville, TN and north of Knoxville, Tn. Ok-lets say Tennessee in general.

I personally couldn't tell you the pros and cons of houseboat living but i've seen them in the damned rivers as far as i can remember. Somebody must be living full time out on the water.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:51 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,225 times
There are shows about houseboats on the Travel Channel, I think.

I don't think I would want to live on one, though. With all the worries that come with a house, I would not want to add the worry about sinking!

Nor would I like a floor that is moving and not stable.

But a houseboat, I would think, is something like a floating RV, only nicer. You can travel to various locations and take your house with you.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 20,965 times
Smile Living on a Houseboat is Wonderful

I've been on my houseboat for 2 and a half years. Love it! But, I'm having to sell it due to poor health. I know I'm going to miss it. Livaboards in general (houseboat & otherwise) are a dying breed. Too many condos are crowding the shores and "they" don't want to look at us. I live in Mandeville, LA where you could probably find someone (babyboomer) that was born on one. :0)

This was my first boat of any kind. I'm on a fixed income and found this a very pleasant, affordable way to live. First thing you notice is that you don't need any of your old yard gadgets! Lawnmower, weedeater, etc. are a thing of the past when living on a boat.

I've bought an RV and am having to sell the boat. I'll miss it. This a.m. my little dog & I sat on the forward deck listening to the birds and watched the the sun come up while having my morning coffee. Cajun style of course!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,288 times
I've lived on boats for months at a time.
Space is always at a premium, so think small. Pets, if any, should be small.
You should also be in well enough shape to climb stairs, ladders, and over rails.
Unless you want to fill your water tank often, you will have to conserve or use another source as often as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House