Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,775,569 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the flashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,961,992 times
Ask the guy to take pictures of what he thinks the issue is. That's what my roofer did.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:31 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,605,165 times
Without even seeing it i can pretty much guarantee it is a flashing issue. Call the guy back who said it's the flashing and have him fix it. If it doesn't fix the problem you won't have to pay him because he is the professional and said the flashing was the problem. I'm a contractor myself and if i can't pinpoint the exact cause i will tell someone it could be A or B and sometimes even C. I won't know until i get into it. But if the roofing contractor gives a definitive answer it's the flashing then it's on him if it's not the problem.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,342,518 times
With roof leaks around chimneys, its not always easy to pinpoint the problem, especially if there are a couple "suspect" issues.
Are you able to get into the attic in this area? If so, that may help pinpoint the problem area. Most leaks around chimneys, are flashing related. However, a chimney crown (the mortar on the top) can also be the source if it has a lot of cracks.
That said, if the bricks are spalling, and the mortar deteriorated, the water can be coming in from there.

Throwing caulking on the flashing is a bandaid at best. If shingles and flashings are installed properly, there does not need to be caulking, tar, or other sealing patch material used.

I would have a chimney sweep come by and take a look. A good one will know how to do flashing as well as fix the chimney.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,408,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speusippus View Post
When it rains, sometimes some water drips through along a chimney, right at the corner where the chimney joins with the ceiling. It's just two small spots where some water drips--not even a measured cup of drip total after even several hours of rain.

I called three different contractors to take a look.

One says it's "the flashing." $300

Another says it's, IIRC, basically water leaking through old mortar. $700

Another says the whole chimney and the HVAC pipe running through it are just total crap and the whole thing needs to come down. $1500 or more

I have no idea what to think here. The latter two both say the "flashing" guy is wrong. But they'd say that if they're trying to get my business. I just have no idea how to figure out what to thing about this, and I certainly don't know enough to be able to figure out exactly what's happening myself.

How do you guys get through situations like this?
In my experience leaks around chimneys, smoke stacks, ventilation pipes, et al are commonly caused from leaks under flashing. The old adhesive/sealant gets dried and cracked over time. You can fix it by yourself easily buying liquid rubber and apply liberally with a regular paint brush.

Having said that though there is a distinct possibility damage has been done to mortar from water dripping over a long period of time. The mortar contractor has a point. Save some money up to get that done.

But you can try the flashing sealant first as a short term fix. It least no more water is going to travel along the mortar.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,328,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie;43597770 [B
I'm with the fix the flashing first crowd.[/b]

Reminds me of my BIL when he was having foundation problems. Fixes ran from putting more dirt around the foundation and angling it away from the house to $15,000 +/- bobcat work, digging outside all the way down to the bottom of the foundation wall.
me too.. get the flashing fixed.

Reminds me of the time my heater went out and I had the service guy come and he told me I need a whole new heater. Fortunately, my husband didn't believe him and checked some things out himself. It turned out to be the thermocouple?... whatever that is. My husband put it in and its 5 years since then so he must have been right.

Why is my Bold not working... ugh

Old 04-04-2016, 06:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
Flashing. And keep that guy's contact info for future home maintenance issues!

Old 04-04-2016, 06:48 PM

621 posts, read 1,128,077 times
I'd get to the bottom of the recommendation to tear down the chimney. It doesn't make much sense to base your selection based solely on a cheap fix for a symptom if you have a safety hazard hanging over your head.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:52 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,509,886 times
I'm for the flashing, it always seems to be the first culprit with chimney issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
me too.. get the flashing fixed.

Reminds me of the time my heater went out and I had the service guy come and he told me I need a whole new heater. Fortunately, my husband didn't believe him and checked some things out himself. It turned out to be the thermocouple?... whatever that is. My husband put it in and its 5 years since then so he must have been right.

Why is my Bold not working... ugh
Did the same, indirect water heater was not heating and suggestions were to replace the whole thing. Instead I called the boiler company (Amtrol), got a direct answer to replace the panel (thermo). The only issue was they could not sell direct just to suppliers but happily gave me the part # and a website to use. Ordered it online for under $100 and it was delivered next day. 3 Wires reattached and a new sensor, all is well. Saved myself $$$ for diagnosis, parts, labor from HVAC/plumber.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,067,287 times
I dont have any insight about the cause of the leak (flashing, old mortar, or whole HVAC pipe/chimney).

But I'll give you my experience of having a relative who retired from the roofing business. It's very difficult to authoritatively conclude where a leak is coming from. You can hot-mop something and then discover the leak is coming from somewhere else. Angry homeowner calls, demanding free callback warranty service (a year later?), but the "crew" is already dedicated to some other job.

The relative would "refer" the leak/repair job to a smaller outfit, if they couldn't sell a new roof. You like to tearoff the whole damn roof, because then you know the job is 100% right. But you know what a new roof costs. You only do that once every ~30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House