Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:26 PM

41 posts, read 64,487 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I am creating a plan for a future home. Although I do not have a family, I am creating the plan for the future when I will. The home is quite large with three stories and bedrooms dispersed throughout the home. Right now, there is a bit of distance between the Master bedroom and another bedroom. The second bedroom is adjacent to the master bath, towards the rear of the home. Has anyone ever put a door from the master bedroom or bathroom to a second bedroom? I am thinking it could be great for a nursery. It would cut down walking from the master to the other bedroom in half and make it quieter for others when taking a baby between the two rooms. I am thinking it could be locked once the child is older and could still be useful if I ever have a special needs child, babysit, or someday have grandkids. I have attached a picture that shows the floor plan. Above the nursery there is a connecting room labeled nanny/guest suite. I am thinking this could be used for guests and overnight babysitters/grandparents. I figured it would be best to put a nursery in a quiet location of the home. What are your thoughts on the layout? I have virtually "furnished" the nursery and nanny room, just not the master or bath yet. That is why it looks blank.

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bedroom off Master Bedroom-floorplan-my-ranch-house-nursery-master.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 03:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
I'm not an expert, but what strikes me is that you've essentially made the real Master Bedroom that Nanny/guest suite, since it looks like it is a decent size and has the en suite. You've made what you call the Master into a large bedroom, that has a Jack and Jill style bathroom with the room you are calling Nursery.

Do what you want to do and what gives you the greatest utility. But if you're asking in terms of resale and what appeals most to the buying public, you're not really making that Master a true Master, with its own bathroom. Again, that might be okay, since you have that other room with the bathroom. But I can say that I personally really want a master bedroom with its own dedicated bathroom. We actually were seriously considering buying a home that had been renovated. The renovation added a master bedroom and another bedroom upstairs, and connected those two bedrooms to the bathroom. That was a serious drawback for us and a big reason we didn't go through with buying that house.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 AM

400 posts, read 573,073 times
I'd agree. Everything feels like it's swapped around. If you are building this for long term ownership, it's probably not a big deal. And you should build the house you want. But if you ever intend selling it may turn off a few buyers. You have a nicely sized master, and attached bath. For me, it would be a large disappointment to realize that the master bath is shared.

Random idea.....could you make the guest bathroom the shared one?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Maybe you should just stick to an "rv"(?)
Because judging from your past posts you have a son that's well past 16yoa, yet the year after that you were a senior in HS.

So; would it be safe to say that the house is a pipe dream? Besides, an "rv" is much easier to maintain- and you certainly don't have to walk far to get from one "area" to another.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maybe you should just stick to an "rv"(?)
Because judging from your past posts you have a son that's well past 16yoa, yet the year after that you were a senior in HS.

So; would it be safe to say that the house is a pipe dream? Besides, an "rv" is much easier to maintain- and you certainly don't have to walk far to get from one "area" to another.
Wow... What a rude response. A friend of mine, rv4life, who happens to now be an adult student in college, let me use his account to post this question after I asked for his advice. Thank you for your wonderful advice though.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
How many total bedrooms are in the house. For resale there really should be 3 total bedrooms. The proposed nursery with access thru the master would not fit that criteria. Were it me, making sure there were 3 bedrooms would be a priority.

I have a small room only accessible thru the master. The house was built in the 80s and this was called a "sitting room". I did use it as a nursery, then as a storage area, and now it's my home office.

Once you add a door to the bathroom, you've changed the bathroom from a master bath to a jack-and-jill and lost resale value.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
How many total bedrooms are in the house. For resale there really should be 3 total bedrooms. The proposed nursery with access thru the master would not fit that criteria. Were it me, making sure there were 3 bedrooms would be a priority.

I have a small room only accessible thru the master. The house was built in the 80s and this was called a "sitting room". I did use it as a nursery, then as a storage area, and now it's my home office.

Once you add a door to the bathroom, you've changed the bathroom from a master bath to a jack-and-jill and lost resale value.

Thanks for the advice. The home will have six bedrooms and a bunk room on the third floor. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Default Such a room will be transformed into "her" closet in short order

Any bedroom that has a door into it from the Master is likely to be annexed by the woman of the house and become a massive walk-in-closet as soon as there are no kids to lay claim to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I agree -- any room smaller than a storage room which is only accessible through another room is a definite turn-off for prospective buyers.

Quote:
Not sure about impact on resale value, but yes, no longer a true "master bath".

Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,217 times
FWIW, I think it's a fine plan as long as there are other bedrooms. The extra room would make a great nursery. It would also make a fabulous closet (I would consider installing a small stackable w/d if I were turning it into a closet.) It would also make an excellent home office or craft/hobby room after it was no longer needed as a nursery. Yes, I have seen master suite set ups with an office accessed through the bedroom.

If the house was ONLY those 3 bedrooms, I don't think the nursery would be worth it, but with other bedrooms, it could be a very desirable and convenient feature.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:35 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
I think it makes the master less of a retreat. How many babies will need to use the nursery?if you are planning to have 4-5 kids...I guess I can see it being good for the decade you would use it.

I guess it could be converted to an office/workout room after that. I know I don't want kids, tweens, teens sharing a bath with me. I would think it's an awkward layout.

Maybe if you make two masters and then switch over as the kids age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House