Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,350 times

Advertisements

We have just built a home in a northern climate. Our source of heat is in floor heating tubes. The floor is bare concrete. I keep hearing urban myths that one should not lower the temp below 16 degrees C (60F) when we are away. Unspecified damage may occur.

If this is true, what are the downsides to setting the way temp to those levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 06:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
In Northern Climates it's best to leave the thermostat, for any heating system, above 60 degrees. Leaving it lower than that is still going to use a lot of energy to bring it back to normal temperatures when you come back home and turn the temperature up. Also, if subzero outdoors and the heating system breaks down while you are away from home for an extended period of time, the water's temperature could reach a freezing temperature sooner. By leaving it above 60 degrees, all you are doing is extending the water temperature above freezing.

Most times it makes no difference whatsoever, specially if the house is well insulated. But in Fairbanks, Alaska where winters are extremely cold, the heater's water temperature a few degrees above freezing can make a difference of a few minutes to a few hours. It makes no sense trying to save a little $ compared to having the heating pipes freezing, since the latter can cost you a fortune.

What a lot of home owners do in this area is to have glycol in their boilers and heating systems in case that the water temperature drops below freezing when away from home for several days.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
My folks, in Montana, keep theirs at ~63 through the winter (and have only left the house for an extended time in the summer). Actually, I think the garage zone is set to 55... No clue what they turn the different zones to in the summer as I only visit in the winter (they're my access to cheap skiing). 63 is PLENTY warm, too warm to sleep at night with anything more than just a sheet for me, though they get a lot of passive solar heat through the day too.

No clue about the minimum temp damage myth, I'd love to learn of it myself as I stand to inherit my parents house.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My folks, in Montana, keep theirs at ~63 through the winter (and have only left the house for an extended time in the summer). Actually, I think the garage zone is set to 55... No clue what they turn the different zones to in the summer as I only visit in the winter (they're my access to cheap skiing). 63 is PLENTY warm, too warm to sleep at night with anything more than just a sheet for me, though they get a lot of passive solar heat through the day too.

No clue about the minimum temp damage myth, I'd love to learn of it myself as I stand to inherit my parents house.
55 degrees is not bad. The temperature in my garage is around 55, and around 68 degrees throughout the house when we are awake, then the thermostats automatically adjust to 64 from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

I found this somewhere:
How to prevent your pipes from freezing - Consumer Reports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House