Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,559,606 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are deciding between 2 new housing communities. One is priced higher because 1. the land lots are a little bigger (+ 1/2 acre) and 2. they all come with geothermal heating/cooling. (important to note that per my user name, we live in a cold climate, but summers are pretty hot too!)

the price difference is ~$30K more on the community with geothermal, but the property taxes are also lower in this town (about $1900 less per year).

We like both neighborhoods but are really STUCK on which community to choose.

Does anyone have insight into geothermal pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:39 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,432,457 times
Several years ago I was in an admin position during a ~$6m building renovation in central Wyoming. The project lead was interested/motivated by LEED Certified (very green) building practices and part of that for our building was installing a geothermal system (with aux heating, advanced air handling, etc...) The up front costs were significantly higher than a traditional HVAC system, but the office manager said that despite the building gaining ~3k more sq/ft (roughly a 1/3rd increase), the utilities dropped by about half. Since this is 100% electric, and we had more electrical loads (more lights, larger computer department/more computers), it's hard to know Exactly what the difference was (plus, new building, no prior records, and the overhaul was not minor).

Winter temps/comfort were absolutely fine, it was hard to tell much difference from any other forced-air system. I left the job (and town) in May of the following year before summer really rolled around but when I checked in that next fall, the business manager said it was completely unnoticeable for comfort (meaning that it worked just as well as traditional HVAC).

Now, this being in Wyoming, and WY being pretty dry because it's mostly high plains/desert, there's no need for dehumidifying the air. If you live somewhere with humidity issues, there's more to the equation. It may be a simple dehumidifier (which might be nice, independent control over temp and humidity... I can deal with warmer temps if the humidity is low and it "feels" warmer in the winter with a higher humidity), you'd have to ask.

There's also a "ground source heat pump" that can Sometimes be considered geothermal (it's an open loop, meaning well water comes into the unit, and either cool or warm is extracted, the the waste water is dumped). I'm not much of a fan of these waste-water systems myself, but they're common down here in Georgia.

In any case, the systems are well established and proven. Mostly it's just a higher up-front cost that keeps them from being even more common/popular.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:53 AM

Thanks for your insights, Brian. Definitely a MUCH higher up front costs. The advantage of choosing geothermal for us would be ~$1500-$2000 a yr saving in heating costs, and the lower property taxes, add another $1900 a yr. BUT, higher electric bills. Still though, we're probably looking $3K a year in savings, perhaps up to $3500.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:28 AM

24,637 posts, read 10,968,622 times
We are looking into geothermal in Oklahoma. There does not seem to be a significant price difference but the lots are all small. My issue with a/c is the compressor noise and this may be my chance to get rid of it.
Does anyone have any input or personal experience on single family level 2500-3000sqf?
Thank you!

Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We are looking into geothermal in Oklahoma. There does not seem to be a significant price difference but the lots are all small. My issue with a/c is the compressor noise and this may be my chance to get rid of it.
Does anyone have any input or personal experience on single family level 2500-3000sqf?
Thank you!
Interesting - our CAC compressor unit is not loud at all. I only hear it when I am outside and close to it, I hear nothing inside w/windows shut.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:27 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
If I could I'd go geothermal on principle.
That's an aspect I havent gotten into yet ,but I am into solar and wind,
solar water heater and passive thermal heating.
I need to do some research , thanks.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If I could I'd go geothermal on principle.
That's an aspect I havent gotten into yet ,but I am into solar and wind,
solar water heater and passive thermal heating.
I need to do some research , thanks.
solar + georthermal?? the utility companies heads would explode from anger

Old 09-10-2015, 02:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,872,181 times
Why would the electric bills cost more on the house with geothermal?

what about asking for utility bills from both homes for the last year?

Last edited by joe moving; 09-10-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Why would the electric bills cost more on the house with geothermal?

what about asking for utility bills from both homes for the last year?
Because you're running electricity for the pump to heat and cool your home from the ground.

there is an energy rebate - I believe 30% or something like that... I need to look into that as well.

The homes are brand new construction. No past utility bills.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:07 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,872,181 times
so it costs more, but will save you in taxes and utilities ...I'd just pick the house and location you like better

I am assuming the other house is using a 95%+ efficient boiler or furnace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House