Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,195,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun View Post
I have been told that its dry-vit. Is is better or worse?
"Dry-vit" is a brand name of eifs. So, refer back to my first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,195,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue32033 View Post
I cannot stand stucco. the worst problem is CRACKING!! I can't stand looking at all of it, but if you try and patch it and paint you still can see the repair. Brick is the best!
Lots of cracking- usually means eifs, but it could also be a poor foundation. And the house is moving alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I own a 1922 Bay Area Craftsman Bungalow with lots of charm.

It is stucco and the stucco is as hard as a rock! I was installing a dryer vent and my chipping hammer just bounced of the stuff.

I put a dryer vent in a neighbor 3 year old home and you could literally rub the stucco off... it was just like powder... It was so soft that I could gouge it with a car key.

NO CRACKS in the 1922 home by the way.

Some of the high end homes are using a stucco appearing product that is sold in 5 gallon pails... I've heard good and bad... so the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.
1922- I can assure you thats hardcoat stucco- back then it was about
1 1/2" thick.
The buckets you refer to, are the finish color coat. Its basically a latex vinyl base with color and sand.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
Thanks for the info... yes, the 1922 Stucco is 1 1/2" thick.

I think I could take away all of the wall framing and the walls would still be standing.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,342,570 times
I'm buying a stucco house (at least I hope I am).
I've always liked the look of it specifically Spanish/Mediterranean style homes (what I'm buying).

I just hope the long standing structures that have made me fall in love with this style are a good example of what to expect... i.e. something that will stand the test of time.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM

220 posts, read 1,110,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun View Post
I have been told that its dry-vit. Is is better or worse?
There were a lot of problems in VA with synthetic stucco like Dri-Vit.
We've moved a few times because of work and one thing that was always spelled out in our relo paperwork was that the company would not buy back synthetic stucco houses. That made our decision easier, brick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House