Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 04:02 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

We have a typical 1/3 acre fenced in suburban yard. We have seasonal shrub trimmings, dead branches, etc., nothing major.
We have been thinking of getting a shredder/chipper, but I'm thinking we could just get one of those fire pits and burn stuff. There is a possible free mulch component, but it wouldn't amount to very much and I worry about spreading diseases.

In the case of full disclosure, we can leave trimmings at the curb during the last week of the month and the city will pick them up, but if we trim on the first week of the month, we have to pile up the brush for a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
If you want to make your own mulch, and/or you have a fair amount of use for one, go for it. If you don't, then don't bother.
I have a chipper, and use it a lot. I also burn a fair amount of stuff too. I burn things that I don't want in my mulch, or it doesn't chip well. Some plants will clog up the chipper because they are stringy. I have a lot of leaves in the fall, so I chip them. Much easier than bagging them.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Most chippers don't mulch clippings to the quality that you would want in your beds.

Check to see if your town has an ordinance against burning like that. You never know. A chimenea may be allowed but "fire pit" may not be.

Since you know when the town chipper truck comes, schedule your pruning to coincide with them.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Been there, done that.

Chippers are like boats. The days you like it most are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

If you can, just burn.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
1/3 acre, and you are thinking about getting a chipper???

Put the branches in a pile, use hand pruners to cut off the small branches and mow over them. Cut the larger pieces into firewood with a small electric chainsaw. It is a lot easier and faster.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Been there, done that.

Chippers are like boats. The days you like it most are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Yup. They sound like a good idea, but clog at the slightest overloading/wet material/stringy stuff.

But.....a fire pit? Those things deliver a disgusting stench to the entire neighborhood. Pollution. Just bad news all around.

With a small yard, just grind things up with the lawn mover, put them in a compost heap if you have one, or put them out for green recycling if that service is available in your neighborhood.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

But.....a fire pit? Those things deliver a disgusting stench to the entire neighborhood. Pollution. Just bad news all around.

Mmmmmm.... LOVE the small of a wood fire!
Wood burning fireplaces are common in my area, and a fire pit is not much different.
That said, the OP should check on local burning regulations.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I have no problems at all with a wood fire. Disgusting stenches and pollution come from people burning things other than wood (plastics, rubber, foam... or wood treated with chemicals).

My fire pit is something like what you would find in this set of pictures (google search for landscape block fire pit)
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...35.1rE_YfsG8hs

Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Mmmmmm.... LOVE the small of a wood fire!
Wood burning fireplaces are common in my area, and a fire pit is not much different.
That said, the OP should check on local burning regulations.
I agree with you - I love our fire pit and now that the weather has cooled down we'll be using it a lot. I always get inspired to spark it up when I smell the woodsmoke coming from a neighbor's own yard.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I appreciate the input. I have read the reviews of the basic wood chippers and they are less than stellar. Truthfully, we used to be able to take yard waste about a mile up the road to the recycle center, but they no longer take it. Now, I just don't know the best way to go, but I fear just spewing the stuff that does not live, around the things that do, is a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House