Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM

58 posts, read 156,906 times

Advertisements

Have people any experience purchasing from Sears Outlet online? I'm looking at a scratch and dent fridge that usually sells for $4000+ but listed for about $2300 including shipping. We're in MA, but the shipping will be from Chicago or D.C.

What are your experiences? The scratch is supposed to be on the side only and the online photos are unclear. The front looks to be free of dents.

These are probably floor models, returns or refurbished items. I don't want to go through the bother of repairing the fridge later on if its lifespan is reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
We bought a fridge from our local Sears outlet that had a gouge in the side, and it was fine because we slid it into a built-in space in the cabinets. They are NOT refurbished, but new items that have been damaged in shipping or special orders that were returned before use.

Recently, though, we almost bought a stainless fridge from them that showed a couple of small nicks in the online photo. We drove over to look at it, and in "real life" it looked like it had been sprayed with a shotgun. NOT acceptable.

I think the damage to stainless is harder to judge online.

At our local outlet, though, the stainless stuff goes FAST.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 AM

So would you not recommend buying from an out-of-state outlet that you can't preview in person?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Not if it is stainless steel.

For me, it is not like returning clothing purchased online. I would definitely want to preview it.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
You definitely want to see it in person to make sure the aesthetics are appropriate.

I bought a washer from there once. It had a problem, but the outlet repaired it at no cust, and I never had a problem with it again for the 20 years I owned it until I replaced it for an energy saver.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Sears outlet is not always items at those separate Sears Outlet stores. When browsing online for the discounted items, it is important to identify the items location. Some discounted items may be floor sample at the retail stores. I've picked up quite a few items that way.

I would not purchase that type of items even if it's 50% discount unless it's a pickup. I've gotten SS dishwasher from outlet stores at about 80% discounts it was a store pickup and it was floor model.

The actual sears outlet stores is different from the retail store.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedsweater View Post
I'm looking at a scratch and dent fridge that usually sells for $4000+ but listed for about $2300 including shipping.
Be REALLY careful with this. You might think it is a 4,000 dollar fridge, but chances are, you can find it brand new for slightly over the 2300.

When we were looking for a new washer and dryer, we looked at our local Sears Outlet and we were floored by what they were saying the "regular price" was. The sale price was only slightly less than other big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes. There was one particular washer we saw and it looked like someone plowed their boot into the side of it. They wanted 850 for it. The same washer was brand new at Home Depot for 950.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Be REALLY careful with this. You might think it is a 4,000 dollar fridge, but chances are, you can find it brand new for slightly over the 2300.

When we were looking for a new washer and dryer, we looked at our local Sears Outlet and we were floored by what they were saying the "regular price" was. The sale price was only slightly less than other big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes. There was one particular washer we saw and it looked like someone plowed their boot into the side of it. They wanted 850 for it. The same washer was brand new at Home Depot for 950.
We've been to the Sears retail and saw one of the Kenmore Elite fridge models. The price was up there... but much lower at the online outlet. I'm worried about it being damaged in transit and having trouble with returns.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If you can't inspect in-person, don't buy.
Pictures and descriptions can be deceiving- as noted above.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 65,317 times
Default I wouldn't.

I used to live in an area where they have a Sears outlet, and I loved it. The appliances I got there were minimally dented and scratched, but if I couldn't look at the item I wouldn't get it. Where I moved to doesn't have a Sears outlet, but what I have noticed is the local Sears stores have scratched and dented appliances, though not a lot. You have to go often and see if they have floor models, or returned items. Most of the time I found that the returned appliance has nothing wrong with it, but the installers bumped it of scratched it while moving or installing it. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House