Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM

264 posts, read 302,305 times

Advertisements

When young (Yes), I use to rough-in new homes and (at times) do minor wiring in my home BUT can a upper level give some suggestions on my deli-ma ?

How does one check out which circuit breaker is bad in the fuse panel, I have multi-testers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Usually there is no voltage coming out if the screw terminal where the hot wire is landed. In some cases you can tell because the breaker doesn't have the resistance when you reset it. Or are you asking how to check voltage on the breaker output?

Usually there is no voltage coming out if the screw terminal where the hot wire is landed. In some cases you can tell because the breaker doesn't have the resistance when you reset it.

Take off the inner cover.
Put your meter on V-AC. depending if the meter is auto range or not you. Want 000.0 on VAC or VAC setting if auto range. Hang the meter securely on something.
Put black probe on either ground or neutral lugs. ( those would be a bunched up set of white wires or bare copper wire Take the red probe
Now
On the breaker one side will have a screw terminal. Under that terminal there should be a wire. Either black possibly red. Those are your hots. Touch the red probe to each screw terminal. Whichever terminal does not show a 110-120VAC reading is the bad breaker. Some breakers have a tab with screw and are screwed in some are snap in ( removal or install)

If you have a no touch probe you just touch it to every hot wire but it may give bad reading because wiring is so close.

Please turn off the main breaker when swapping out to a new one and get the same rating.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-28-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,594,210 times
It's pretty rare for residential breakers to go bad. If in doubt I simply replace them. The low cost under $5 for a single pole breaker why would you take a chance?

When you deal with commercial and industrial size breakers there are specialzied companies that test and repair them. Those breakers cost thousands of dollars so repairing and testing them is justified.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
It's pretty rare for residential breakers to go bad. If in doubt I simply replace them. The low cost under $5 for a single pole breaker why would you take a chance?

When you deal with commercial and industrial size breakers there are specialzied companies that test and repair them. Those breakers cost thousands of dollars so repairing and testing them is justified.
eddie1278

I had residential ones go bad. In go fact I just had one go bad at my rental a few weeks ago. Outlets worked one day and the next stopped working. Just a basic GE breaker 8 bucks. Yes they don't go bad a lot but they do go bad.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM

34,099 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
How does one check out which circuit breaker is bad...
I have multi-testers?
One multi-tester probe on the breaker screw and one on the neutral bar.
Flip the breaker on then off. The meter should tell the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House