Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,683 times

Advertisements

Which installation first- new laminate wood floor or new appliances

I have a question: If my husband wants to install the laminate wood flooring himself and we are getting all new appliances that are delivered and installed for us (free take away service), wouldn't it make most sense to do the floors first so that he has more room to work since we can just put the old appliances outside and just be without them during the floor renovation? I'm concerned he's going to damage the new appliances by installing them and then moving them to put down the laminate and then reinstalling them...plus he'll have no work space if he has to move the new appliances into an adjoining room, etc! Also, laminate wood flooring doesn't really scratch, so why worry about moving appliances after they're installed, right? Any advice? Help!!

I did read several other related posts but we are doing LAMINATE wood floors and we are installing them ourselves, so the other posts I saw didn't quite apply....thanks for any advice! Also, if you have any recommendations for what type/brand of laminate wood flooring to go with, I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
If the appliances are going to be installed over the laminate floor, then the floor should by logic be laid first. Otherwise you'll need to put some protective flooring down when moving the appliances around so as not to damage the new flooring..

Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I would go with the floor first. What if, sometime down the road, you get new appliances, and something isn't the same size as what's in there now, or you want them in a different place. Where are you going to find the same flooring with the same coloring to match what's been down there for several years?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
The floor needs to be under the stove, and fridge, but not the dishwasher.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Have you measured to make sure the appliances will fit under the counter or cabinets once the laminate floor has been installed?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
You're overthinking it. Doing the floor first is ideal, but doing the appliances first is fine too, it just requires a little more work and care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House