Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,998 times

Advertisements

I had a cinderblock wall put in. They dug 4 or 5 feet down, filled with cement, then placed cinderblocks with rebar. I wasn't home, so I'm a little concerned they skimped.... Now I have some cracks in the mortar along the shape of the blocks (kind of a zig-zag shape. The Stucco cracked as well in the same pattern. The wall was filled with cement, but should I worry? Is there anything to do at this point? THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Taking the footings down 4 or 5 feet is below frost level and that shouldn’t be an issue as it sounds like they did the right thing for some areas of the country.

There are areas of the country that have poor soil which requires additional work when pouring and installing the footings before the block goes up. My guess is that your location might be one of these areas. Here in Maricopa County AZ there are many locations where subdivisions were built without regard to soil problems, and after several years the homes started having problems with cracks both inside and outside walls. The original builder had to come back into the area to make repairs.

There was something they did to the homes to reestablish the footings and cement slab flooring of the home by forced pumping of a different substance under the home. I can’t remember the details but it happened to too many homes in several areas and neighborhoods in the suburbs of around Phoenix.

http://www.azgs.az.gov/HomeOwners-OC...oblemsoils.pdf

http://www.maricopa.gov/aq/divisions...ndixF-0404.pdf

Not knowing your location, it’s hard to say what might have happened – poor materials & workmanship or a soil issue. I would think if its soil other homes in the area might have a similar problem if you’re in a new neighborhood. You might want to check with others around your home.

On another point of view, it might simply be a poor mixture of cement when adding the cinderblock. Is any mortar flaking or falling out of the joints? You might have to try picking at the joints it with a screwdriver or nail to see if the mortar is the issue. However it sounds like the zig-zag cracks could be “normal” settling although not desirable.

Is there any cracking of the floor? And what area of the country are you in? How old is the home?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
First thought that came to my mind is there a lot of traffic going by the nearby fence. Vehicles rumbling by can cause slight earth movement that can cause cracking at joints or weak spots.
When the cement footing was poured did they use rebar in that footing to help stabilize the footing. If not then unstable soil could cause the weight of the blocks to push down enough to cause some cracking.
You may want to get an independent contractor or qualified inspector to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House