Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM

83 posts, read 268,450 times

Advertisements

Help! My wife and I have been in our first home for about 4 months now and recently noticed a water mark on the kitchen ceiling. It seems to be caused by the utilization of the garden tub, but we aren't sure. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this and how we can solve the issue? The spot was dry when I touched it, if that helps with any diagnosis. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,187,649 times
It was still wet on the other side of the ceiling. Call a plumber.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,903,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising3131 View Post
Help! My wife and I have been in our first home for about 4 months now and recently noticed a water mark on the kitchen ceiling. It seems to be caused by the utilization of the garden tub, but we aren't sure. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this and how we can solve the issue? The spot was dry when I touched it, if that helps with any diagnosis. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!
If you just purchased this home (newly built or not; even older homes) I would think that the seller of the home would have provided a one year warranty on issues like this. Check with the realtor who sold you the house!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,305,175 times
You need to determine the cause and repair it prior to fixing any drywall, or paint. Usually you have to paint it with a sealer like Kilz, or Zinzer or it will bleed through the latex.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Depending on the type of garden tub, you maybe able to narrow down the leak source by removing the front panel (if it has one). If it has a pump check through the access door. If you can't narrow it down that way be prepared to start opening drywall. If the faucet of the tub is at a common wall where you have access to the other side- that's a good place to start.

If you still don't see or find anything then you'll probably have to open the ceiling. But keep one thing in mind, just because it shows up in one spot doesn't mean that's where the source is. A lot of times water can travel over drywall to a seam and then show.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 11-07-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,831,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If you just purchased this home (newly built or not; even older homes) I would think that the seller of the home would have provided a one year warranty on issues like this. Check with the realtor who sold you the house!
Sellers warranty? Never heard of this other than for brand new construction. Some sellers include purchasing a 1-yr home waranty for the buyer in hopes of hastening the sale of their existing home. In general for existing homes, Once all the agreements are met and the closing is done, the buyer takes on all risk. It's one thing to go after the seller for mis-representating or providing false info, but good luck if you want the seller to come back and take responsibility for a problem like this is.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,198,329 times
I do not know what a "garden tub" is however we, too, had a water mark on our kitchen ceiling which I "traced back" to the jacuzzi-like large bathtub in our master bathroom above that spot. That tub has a bunch of nozzles driven by a water pump located behind a panel in one of our walk-in closets; the "surround" of the tub itself, though, is inaccessibly covered with tile so ONLY the water pump area is available for hands-on.

But...

I used a fairly good flashlight to look deep inside the tub cavity from that panel opening and, during the leak test, saw a very slight dripping from one of the nozzle connections. The simple fix was just to caulk/tighten the in-tub fastener for the nozzle.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM

9 posts, read 17,828 times
Call a plumber get it checked there might be a leakage in the pipe and therefore water must be draining in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House