Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:40 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,953,536 times

Advertisements

I have a half bath that is 9 feet deep and 4 ft wide. I want to rearrange things and add a 32" corner shower kit but they ALL seem to have bad reviews. What about buying a shower base, tiling the two walls in the corner and adding a shower curtain? Do you think something like this would contain water well?

Here is an example I found while searching online: Corner Shower | MJR Paint and Tile LLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,833,396 times
A few things:

1) Do you realize how small a 32" shower is? We had a 32" alcove shower at my old house and words cannot describe how much my wife and I both hated it.

2) Your 4' x 9' bathroom is going to be very tight. My advice is to measure out an equivalent space in your basement or whatever and do a mockup of the layout with the the toilet, vanity, shower, and whatever else will be in the room to see if it will even work for you.

3) If you are going to do this, I'd go with a frame/door assembly instead of a curtain if you are concerned about keeping water in.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
The corner units are garbage-
You can get wet in one, but you really can't "shower" in one.

Trying to add a shower to a room that size and stay within code guidelines would be
pretty much impossible.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,605,342 times
I've used a corner shower in a hotel. It had a door/frame, not a curtain. The footprint of the shower was like the one pictured in the OP and the door was on the diagonal part. The door was two pieces, so it didn't need much room to swing. I don't remember how big it was, but it couldn't have been very big at all. It was an old hotel in Manhattan. I got clean just fine.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have a half bath that is 9 feet deep and 4 ft wide.
I want to rearrange things and add a ...shower
Don't get distracted by the products.
The real job (and most expense) is in the walls and floor which has to be done regardless.
iow... what is UNDER this room.

As to the corner shower... avoid the notion altogether.
Think bigger... like the full 4 foot width at one end of that 9 foot wall... x 36.
That 108" might still leave room for a 36" vanity and the commode.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,677,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The real job (and most expense) is in the walls and floor which has to be done regardless.

Think bigger... like the full 4 foot width at one end of that 9 foot wall... x 36.
This is the best suggestion.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

The problem with this- in a typical layout is spacing. Granted, there would be enough side to side between fixtures- but, a really cramped "walk path". A toilet requires AT LEAST 21" of clear space in FRONT of it. A round bowl toilet will probably work.

But, if the toilet is placed in typical layout- next to shower- the bowl would interfere with a proper swing out shower door. Then the vanity- at the typical 21-23" total depth leaves a not so comfortable 2' to bend over when brushing your teeth.

Doable and meet all code requirements? Probably. Comfortably usable- not so much.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,605,342 times
How big are you people?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,833,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
How big are you people?
My wife is 5'1 and HATED our small bath with the 32" shower.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
How big are you people?
No kidding. There are couples who buy some really expensive motorhomes and never have a problem getting clean. You go into a bathroom to get clean or whatever, not camp out. Yes, some people need to primp for hours and then there are the cozy folks who don't mind someone sitting on the pot while they take a shower but really.

It really comes down to using space as efficiently as possible when you have very little to work with. The basement thing always comes up but there are millions of people that don't have them. I am sure if the OP had all that much space, this wouldn't be a question.

Done right, corner showers work just fine. Remember, it is a shower not a waterfall or swimming pool. If you're in there for more than a few minutes, you are doing something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Budget friendly options for adding shower to tiny half bath?-mg_0203.jpg   Budget friendly options for adding shower to tiny half bath?-images.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House