Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,093,432 times

Advertisements

So I noticed last night that a CFL I have is very faintly "blinking" with the light switch in the off position. Only about a 1/4 of it lights up and it's very dim.

Here are the facts:

• It's the light at the top of the stairs and it's on a 3-way circuit.
  • There are switches at the top & bottom of the stairs that control that light and another light (incandescent) at the bottom of the stairs.
  • Both switches are standard on/off.
  • It is an old house with some outlets that aren't grounded. It's probable that this circuit is not grounded.

This only started last night (I've had the CFL in there for months). Any ideas what's causing this?

When I touched the actual glass portion of the light - one finger near the base and the other near the end - the entire bulb lit up and it was brighter than before. Don't know if that helps, but I found it interesting at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:44 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,277,114 times
Do these switches have lights in them that light up when the switch is off?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,944,326 times
Quote:
control that light and another light (incandescent) at the bottom of the stairs.
Try changing out the other light (incandescent) a the bottom of the stairs with a CFL matching both lights with CFL might fix the issue.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:37 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,093,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Do these switches have lights in them that light up when the switch is off?
No, they are normal switches.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,277,114 times
One of your switches could be bad. Or the wiring on the light could be reversed -- hot could be unswitched and neutral could be switched. Then if you have any path (even a very poor one) to ground, the light could flicker.

I've also seen suggestions that this can happen "normally" due to induced voltages in the wiring between the switches. I have my doubts in your case because the incandescent light would act to bleed off any such voltages.... unless that light has blown out recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House