Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

I forgot abut icemakers. My ice maker is filled at the sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM

677 posts, read 933,865 times
Does the house already have existing hardwood floors in the kitchen cause if not then don't do it. Regardless of the reasons people are telling you why a refrigerator leaks the point is sh*t happens & that's the bottom line. I think it's foolish to have wood floors anywhere it could come in contact with water, & considering the type of appliances that we have today that aren't built to last like the one's of yesteryear I deem them untrustworthy. After seeing 1000's & 1000's of complaints online about defective appliances I'd hardly chance it, & suppose your new dishwasher leaks, ever think about that cause when they leak they flood! Instead of hardwood the practical solution is ceramic tile, no worries about water damage with that.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Ceramic tile is MURDER on one's feet, legs, backs and shoulders -- standing in front of stove or doing dishes is a total pain. Further dropping any sort of plate or glass on tile results in utter destruction. Worst is the fact that should something heavy fall onnthe tile, like a big pot, it can crack, and repairing such damage is much more involved than any repairs to hardware floors.

Fact is every flooring choice has trade-offs, just as every appliance choice has pluses and minuses.

When you base decision on legitimate concerns ultimately the right choice will differ for each person.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Ceramic tile is MURDER on one's feet, legs, backs and shoulders -- standing in front of stove or doing dishes is a total pain. Further dropping any sort of plate or glass on tile results in utter destruction. Worst is the fact that should something heavy fall onnthe tile, like a big pot, it can crack, and repairing such damage is much more involved than any repairs to hardware floors.

Fact is every flooring choice has trade-offs, just as every appliance choice has pluses and minuses.

When you base decision on legitimate concerns ultimately the right choice will differ for each person.

The bolded part I do agree, but as far as tile being murder I disagree. Now what is true is ceramic tile is stone, so granted it's a hard yet durable surface, it's also cold but the solution is wearing thick slippers during winter months or just regular shoes, & yes, if you drop any type of glass on it you can kiss it good-bye. It has never given me any problems with my body. Dropping a heavy cast iron pot/pan would possibly crack it but when having the floor installed you always keep the over-runs (extra tiles), & replacement for a couple of tiles pales in comparison to replacing hardwood water damaged floors. Let's also examine the cons of wood floors in the kitchen, what do you think would happen if you dropped a cast iron pot/pan on those floors? You would definitely scratch, chip, crack, & dent them. Planks of flooring would have to be replaced or am I wrong since I do have porcelain ceramic flooring that runs from the kitchen, family rm, den, & powder rm & we've had it for yrs & I love it. It's low maintenance no scuff marks, doesn't show dust, no scratches, dents, doesn't wear down like wood flrs do especially in high traffic volume areas like kitchens. Face it, water & wood do not mix & when they do the results are disastrous.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
You sure about water and wood being a disaster?

USS Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
You sure about water and wood being a disaster?

USS Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps this will help the OP make up their mind:

Hardwood Flooring In Kitchens

Leaky Dishwasher Wrecks Hardwood Floor And Ceiling Below, Sears Shrugs

After reading the article on hardwoods in the kitchen it states it will be high maintenance, way too much trouble for me since the last thing I want is for something to work me to death.

Last edited by SassySpice; 08-03-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Add on

Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 63,395 times
I already had the hardwood flooring installed. I wanted to avoid going for wood floors in the kitchen but I couldn't find any ceramic tiles that are blending in with my back splash/ Granite. They have very limited options available in the design center for tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Does the house already have existing hardwood floors in the kitchen cause if not then don't do it. Regardless of the reasons people are telling you why a refrigerator leaks the point is sh*t happens & that's the bottom line. I think it's foolish to have wood floors anywhere it could come in contact with water, & considering the type of appliances that we have today that aren't built to last like the one's of yesteryear I deem them untrustworthy. After seeing 1000's & 1000's of complaints online about defective appliances I'd hardly chance it, & suppose your new dishwasher leaks, ever think about that cause when they leak they flood! Instead of hardwood the practical solution is ceramic tile, no worries about water damage with that.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Thank you for this info. I never thought about these. Now I don't feel too bad about going for wood flooring.

Quote:

Old 08-07-2013, 12:48 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
I have hardwood flooring in my kitchen and find it great. It's close to 20 years old and still doing fine.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Perhaps this will help the OP make up their mind:

Hardwood Flooring In Kitchens

Leaky Dishwasher Wrecks Hardwood Floor And Ceiling Below, Sears Shrugs

After reading the article on hardwoods in the kitchen it states it will be high maintenance, way too much trouble for me since the last thing I want is for something to work me to death.
Thank you for the information. I already have the hardwood installed. I will try to seal the wood .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House