Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times

Advertisements

I'v been living in my house now for 6 & 1/2 years. When i moved in to the house there was a tree on the drive
but it had been cut right back to just very short stubs, but as the years have gone by its grown back i now no that it's an oke tree and its growing very big i think its the tree that has caused my hall way floor to crack and my path and drive way are all looking like they have lifted. also the tree has got so big it sits taller then my house and the branches are now inches away from my upstairs windows i have contacted my landlord about this and they don't seem to be bothered about this, i also no longer use my drive as the tree seems to lose small branches and i'm in fear of one of them damaging my car, i don't really use my front door any more as the tree is so close to my house the front is always covered in bird poo. the tree sits 9 feet away from my house is this to close and should i be worried and what can i do. Also i have now found out that this tree has a preservation order on it what does this mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
You say it is your house, then mention a landlord.

If it is your house and tree, you can deal with them.
If it is the landlord's house and tree, they will deal with them as they see fit.

You can call your local officials to see exactly what "preservation order" means.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM

477 posts, read 803,022 times
Not sure about oke trees but
here in Canada oak trees can get pretty big fast.

My neighbour just chopped one down before it grows too big to easily remove.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
ya, I was like emm ok, till Landlord, Huh... slow night Huh...

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
A preservation order likely means that the tree can not be cut down (although it can probably have maintenance trimming).

The order could be because of it's age, or because it's located in an environmentally sensitive area. In the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area (1000 feet inland from mean high tide) any tree removal has to be permitted and mitigation done, usually in the form of planting new trees from a formula using the girth of the removed tree, when taking down an existing tree.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
A preservation order means the city/county (AHJ) doesn't want the tree to be cut down on a whim. Generally there is historical "value" to the tree(s). The only way it would be cutdown, cutback, or otherwise "dismembered" would be by the recommendation of an arborist- and guess who's dime that is on?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
I think in California the Live Oak is a protected tree. I think you might need a permit to remove it if it's in a hazardous spot.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A preservation order means the city/county (AHJ) doesn't want the tree to be cut down on a whim. Generally there is historical "value" to the tree(s). The only way it would be cutdown, cutback, or otherwise "dismembered" would be by the recommendation of an arborist- and guess who's dime that is on?
Of course it has value. It's the only time I've ever heard of an "oke" tree.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
The one hit one post wonder has not been back to read any responses since she signed off 10 minutes after she posted. Either she is cutting down the oke tree or has enrolled in English classes at the college.

I wonder if an oke tree is referring to an Oklahoma resident. Even that is spelled "Okie"

Who knows...........................

Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I think in California the Live Oak is a protected tree. I think you might need a permit to remove it if it's in a hazardous spot.
I think this is only in Los Angeles County. The Live Oak is an oddball. A hardwood tree that doesn't lose its leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House