Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM

102 posts, read 306,329 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am researching for appliances for out house, The builder as part of teh upgrade package is oofering the GE stainless steel appliances. However, from my initial research I have found that GE is not good.

Can someone recommend a good brand for the appliances.

Alos can someone shed some light on either if we shoudl go with Hardwood or Hardwood Laminate floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,553,771 times
The fact is most builder grade appliances , regardless of color / finish generate TONS of complaints online. This is partly a function of the large number of builder grade appliances sold but also a restatement to the crummy policies of mass builders-- if it takes an extra nickel out o their profit they do not consider any better quality options...

If you like the look of SS appliances from the builders ahead and pay the discharge.

If you want better appliances shop on your own.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM

839 posts, read 2,530,330 times
My wife used to work for GE and it was a running joke to never buy a GE product that had water running through it. We bought new appliances last year and mixed it up.... Bosch dishwasher, Whirlpool gold refrigerator and GE profile gas range/microwave.

Would suggest buying a subscription to consumer reports to help narrow down your choices.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM

839 posts, read 2,530,330 times
In regards to the type of flooring, that depends on the price point of your house and what is being put in other homes in your area. There are some very good laminates, but you may have a hard time selling a house with them at a later date.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM

thanks for the responses, we are also leaning towards getting Bosch dishwasher. The others we are not sure have to do more research.

Top vs front washer dryer which one? and which brand?

I think you make a good point about reselling with laminate.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,919,914 times
As far as brands, my only advice is to check out Consumer Reports and make sure whatever company offers a local service person in your area. Unfortunately, it's kind of a crap shoot with brands and reliability.

We ended up choosing an LG top loader (HE) and the corresponding dryer. They have good ratings, we like the color and hopefully this will work out well.

BTW, using my builder's name at the store he works with saved us like $500 as compared to Sear's pricing, so you may want to go that route.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,175,329 times
The problem with appliances is that every company has their niche, they do well with one particular appliance but not another. You will drive yourself nuts reading reviews trying to buy everything from the same company. I dont have any experience dealing with builders. I bought my house when it was 14 yrs old, however a few of my neighbors have been here since the sub was built. They all said the dishwashers were the first thing to go after 3 or 4 yrs. the dishwashers were whirlpool, builder grade. Lots of people still have the orginial whirlpool builder grade stove though. So apparently in that line up, the stoves were whirlpool's better appliance.

After a year my husband and I started replacing the appliances. We wanted SS. I quickly found it was a headache because I liked one appliance by one brand and another appliance by another company. I found trying to match the SS and handles to be a headache. So keep this in mind when you are out shopping. I started off with a frigidaire stove which I still really like (the microwave not so much). The company makes a non fingerprint SS which looks nice however it has a much darker color verses other companies. Also Frigidaire makes their handles to look a certain way that other companies don't. Another headache. We did end up buying a fridge by them but dishwashers are a complete failure. Horrible reviews with horrible stories of damage, non stop service calls and so on. I had to find a different dishwasher. I went with Bosch. The SS is slightly different but not too noticeable. Also Bosch dishwashers are slightly more narrow, some need to buy the trim kit otherwise you have a significant gap around it when its placed in the cabinets.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM

6,840 posts, read 11,602,375 times
I'll point out your local library most likely has current and previous issues of Consumers Reports you can peruse and save yourself the cost of a subscription.

As far as front vs. top load washers, there are numerous threads here concerning that.....however, I'm not sure a consensus opinion has ever been reached.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

17,485 posts, read 66,252,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The fact is most builder grade appliances , regardless of color / finish generate TONS of complaints online. This is partly a function of the large number of builder grade appliances sold but also a restatement to the crummy policies of mass builders-- if it takes an extra nickel out o their profit they do not consider any better quality options...
Although I really don't agree with your "reasoning", "builder grade"(in actuality is just lowend lines from manufacturers) it's not about "profit"; it's about marketable price points.

If you like the look of SS appliances from the builders ahead and pay the discharge.
Yes, even though they maybe a lowend line, it's still S/S.
If you want better appliances shop on your own.
And if you do decide that getting appliances on your own is the way you want to go- keep in mind most national builders won't allow it. Regional, and local builders may allow it, but will take no responsibility for their delivery, and/or install- which you usually have to have done in order to get a C/O.. I recall when I worked for a national builder, most buyers who had intensions of changing appliances would take the "white" or "black", live with them through the 1 or 2yrnew home warranty period then get new ones. For the reasons I previously mentioned, and other personal reasons- mainly financial ones.

As for the flooring- just put a big RED "X" on laminate. Yes, there are pros and cons both ways- but the majority of the pros go to real wood. Whether its engineered or solid.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
And if you do decide that getting appliances on your own is the way you want to go- keep in mind most national builders won't allow it. Regional, and local builders may allow it, but will take no responsibility for their delivery, and/or install- which you usually have to have done in order to get a C/O.. I recall when I worked for a national builder, most buyers who had intensions of changing appliances would take the "white" or "black", live with them through the 1 or 2yrnew home warranty period then get new ones. For the reasons I previously mentioned, and other personal reasons- mainly financial ones.

As for the flooring- just put a big RED "X" on laminate. Yes, there are pros and cons both ways- but the majority of the pros go to real wood. Whether its engineered or solid.

Thanks for the tip, we were hoping to ask the builders to credit us for teh regular appiances and use that credit for some other creditand then get teh appliances on our own and ask them to install before closing.

Yes, I think we will go with wood and now is there a difference between engineered vs solid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House