Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,718,435 times

Advertisements

In my own experience with two Boschs (one at home and yes one here in the office of all things) more than dependability there are quirks of how it operates that are different if you're used to only the one kind of dishwasher. Many people are more familiar with the dishwasher that has a) exposed heating element in bottom and b) grinder to grind up food particles. No Bosch has these as far as I know.

The two I use have the exact same inside. The one at home is front panel controls. The one at work is hidden controls. The racks, tub, etc are the same. I prefer the exposed controls because I like the countdown timer. The model we have here with hidden controls does not have a timer but simply beeps when done. There's also no indication it's running so sometimes prone to accidental opening while cycle is going (not a big deal, but weird, also a function of just how quiet it is). The one here is a higher end model that's even quieter than my base model unit at home (which is still pretty quiet).

Personally, I don't have an issue with the drying element thing. I would prefer to turn those off anyway, and I like that there's not an exposed heating element there because I never have to worry where I put plastic items in the machine or worry if they fall down or whatever. Just fill it with abandon wherever it fits. (Tip: the best way to have dishes dry in my experience is to open the door immediately after the cycle is over. If you leave the door shut the water recondenses on the dishes.) The filter the Bosch has vs food grinder is a different issue. Sometimes that gets scuzzy with sort of paste-like food particles and you have to wash it out. Might benefit from having a second one and washing the other in the dishwasher from time to time. You'll know the filter is dirty from the smell if you let it get that far. Both units have made the same distinct odor a couple of times.

My home unit had a main electronic board failure once (I believe it is a known somewhat common issue with that model), within the warranty period. We run that about 2-3x a week. The unit at the office which is run about once a week, maybe twice a week sometimes, has not had any repair issues. Office unit is about 7-8 years old. Home unit, I can't remember, I think about one year newer so about 6-7 years now.

I have witnessed a more recent Bosch visiting a relative's house, and they have changed the configuration of the lower rack in such a way that makes it perhaps more flexible for some things but less for others. In general I did not prefer it, so that could be another downside. It's not always easy to know just how well the rack configurations will work until you use them.

Overall I'd get a Bosch DW again without hesitation, but I would look at all current options in my price range and so forth before determining it was automatically the right choice. It is possible that even in the few intervening years that the dependability has gone down. Both of these units were assembled in the US factory. (If that kind of detail interests you, just know that brand alone can no longer be a determining factor of where the appliance is made. You must dig into each line and type of appliance to know.)

In terms of appliances in general, I would mix and match brands rather than sticking with one. But I also don't care for stainless finish so that might be easier for me. If you want stainless it gets perhaps a little harder to match the "colors" so to speak. Although the ones in the office kitchen are stainless (stupidly, don't like how they show water spots and such unless you get very exacting with cleaning) and seem to match up okay, Kenmore range and fridge, Bosch DW. But no reason to stick to one brand IMO. Pick out which one works best in each type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM

5,643 posts, read 25,007,346 times
I have seen reports of both good and bad experiences with most brands depending upon the model, use, and expectations. Don't expect the brand name to automatically signify the quality or expected life (I personally have had experiences with GE appliances at both extremes).

We recently replaced all the appliances in our current house and focused on capabilities, appearance, and price. Every unit is a different brand stainless model but since they are not side by side they go together just fine. We went for bang for the buck and fully expect all will have a life of about ten years where we will probably want replacements anyway.

I find that making consumer purchases with an eye for extremely long life does not pay off, that current functionality for a modest price is a better choice for me.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

839 posts, read 2,531,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
In my own experience with two Boschs (one at home and yes one here in the office of all things) more than dependability there are quirks of how it operates that are different if you're used to only the one kind of dishwasher. Many people are more familiar with the dishwasher that has a) exposed heating element in bottom and b) grinder to grind up food particles. No Bosch has these as far as I know.

The two I use have the exact same inside. The one at home is front panel controls. The one at work is hidden controls. The racks, tub, etc are the same. I prefer the exposed controls because I like the countdown timer. The model we have here with hidden controls does not have a timer but simply beeps when done. There's also no indication it's running so sometimes prone to accidental opening while cycle is going (not a big deal, but weird, also a function of just how quiet it is). The one here is a higher end model that's even quieter than my base model unit at home (which is still pretty quiet).
My Bosch dishwasher also had that annoying beep noise after if finished. A quick scan of the owner's manual showed how to disable it. I was almost ready to get rid of it until I found out the beep could be turned off. It would beep, then wait 10-15 minutes and then keep doing it for like an hour. Had to open the door to get it to stop. If you turned on the dishwasher and went to bed, it was like an alarm going off.

Thanks for the info on the filter, I'll have to check on that.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,186,321 times
True statements about the Bosch dishwasher. I still like mine but it did take some getting used to. The inside of it is smaller. I noticed that right away. The rack configuration is different as well. Mine has the hidden controls which I like for looks. Mine is also very quiet but has a red light that shines on the floor to let you know its on. Unless I have vulcan hearing, I can hear when the dishwasher is on, its not that quiet. The only annoying feature I find with it, is that damn beeping sound. My last dishwasher turned off when it was done but the Bosch does not. Even after the beeping finally stops, it remains on. You have to turn it off. Not that it keeps running or anything but its still technically on. Have no idea why it has to be turned off.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM

839 posts, read 2,531,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The only annoying feature I find with it, is that damn beeping sound. My last dishwasher turned off when it was done but the Bosch does not. Even after the beeping finally stops, it remains on. You have to turn it off. Not that it keeps running or anything but its still technically on. Have no idea why it has to be turned off.
Just posted about the beeping... check your owner's/operating manual, it has info in there on how to disable the beep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House