Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM

4,635 posts, read 12,365,997 times

Advertisements

There's been a number of threads recently about laminate floors, and some very negative comments towards them. I thought I'd let you folks into a small portion of my life as a retired carpenter.
Http://www.scotthansen.net/familyroom
This is my very modest home 20 miles North West of downtown Reno. I must admit I never gave the laminate a second thought as to some perceived lower standard. Being able to do everything myself saves enough, and gives us an easy to clean durable surface. I haven't worked residential since i was an apprentice, so I'm not up to date on the latest rage in shacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,626,754 times
Default Putting down laminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
There's been a number of threads recently about laminate floors, and some very negative comments towards them. I thought I'd let you folks into a small portion of my life as a retired carpenter.
Http://www.scotthansen.net/familyroom
This is my very modest home 20 miles North West of downtown Reno. I must admit I never gave the laminate a second thought as to some perceived lower standard. Being able to do everything myself saves enough, and gives us an easy to clean durable surface. I haven't worked residential since i was an apprentice, so I'm not up to date on the latest rage in shacks.
Looks really good, I am sold. The flooring company wants to put down quarter round, I like the idea of removing the moulding But what am I getting into if I do the baseboard removal myself? the house was built in 2003, wonder if there is sheetrock behind the baseboards. I have carpet now, what is involved with taking it out. I may not be capable of installing the laminate but I should be able to remove the carpet and baseboards. Any step by step would help me a lot.
Sidney in Port St Lucie, Florida

Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Looks really good, I am sold. The flooring company wants to put down quarter round, I like the idea of removing the moulding But what am I getting into if I do the baseboard removal myself? the house was built in 2003, wonder if there is sheetrock behind the baseboards. I have carpet now, what is involved with taking it out. I may not be capable of installing the laminate but I should be able to remove the carpet and baseboards. Any step by step would help me a lot.
It really depends on your talent level, and confidence. When removing the old base you must first run a utility knife around the top to cut the old caulking. Failure to do this could result in pulling the face paper from the drywall. Use a pry bar (blue Wonder bar) carefully to not damage the drywall. If you need to put something behind it, do it. I use an old taping knife, so I avoid drywall repair. I use a taller profile base for the new install, but I still pull off the caulking carefully. You'll need the paint from the walls most likely. I paint the base prior to installing it (paint it before you even cut it to size), so I don't have a cut line at the floor. I touch up the putty holes from the nails, and the caulk joints. Blue tape is your friend. Put it everywhere on the floor a brush might even get close.

Funny how people complain about the laminate, and dumb old me thinks a base shoe looks stupid!

Please remember that this is second nature too me. Nail guns, saw table, table saw, *** saw are all easily retrieved from my garage. I have no idea of your capabilities. I also have time on my side now. If I work 4 to 6 hours a day that's enough.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,793,546 times
Screw the floors and the topic of floors, look at those beautiful views you have there !!!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,858,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post

I just completed pulling up carpet and installing laminate myself. Well I did have a guy friend help as there is some sawing required.
As for pulling up the carpet----that's the easy part. Grab a corner piece and pull!! You'll want a cutting knife to cut the carpet into small pieces -or at least I did it that way. Once the carpet is up and out of the way you'll remove the padding that was underneath. This includes lots of nailed/stapled down portions(I'm no expert ,so have no idea what the correct terms are ) But I used pliers and a hammer. You will want to make sure there are no staples,nails,any debris left over from the carpet. Just crawl around on your hand/knees and perhaps wear work gloves. All easy and sounds worse than it was.
It was at this point we began pulling up the baseboards--carefully. No problems there either.

I refused to pay the price contractors wanted to lay the laminate. It's tiring but too easy to do for me to give my hard earned cash to them.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM

5,289 posts, read 6,252,883 times
For me...............I like the look of corner round.

It is not really that difficult installng laminate...perhaps you know someone with a chop saw, jigsaw, tape measure and square who could help you. I am pretty handy but have helped those successfully who were not and the look of pride on their faces after we finished was priceless.

Whichever way you go, good luck and remember.....you might make a few little mistakes installing it but you won't be paying someone that might not put as much effort and pride into it like you would.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Screw the floors and the topic of floors, look at those beautiful views you have there !!!
I pay for that view. Today is our first day above freezing since 12/23, and the snow is starting to melt.

As for the base shoe comment. Base shoe was very common in the early part of the 20th century when labor was cheap. It's not a problem to like it, I just think it makes the floor look like an after thought.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,719,585 times
Most of the laminates look to me like sheet vinyl, not like real wood. Are there laminates that have grooves thus looking more like real hardwood flooring?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM

3,970 posts, read 8,546,725 times
We put a laminate floor down in our dining room while our house was on the market (to get rid of the plush carpet with the dog stains). One realtor, who has been in the business for over 20 years and is very knowledgable, made the comment after showing the house that the oak hardwood we had installed was a very good addition to the property.

I guess it does have a realistic look.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,221,797 times
Definitely put in some molding. It is pretty easy, especially if you are going to paint it. Personally, I would use matching molding, but painted is ok too. You can add smaller molding like quarter round to standard molding pieces or even flat boards to make a0m ore interesting look, however keep in mind nthing but flat will collect dust and require cleaning. Building has moed towards plain flat type moldings because people do nto want to have to clean nicer more intersting molding. That is up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House