Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM

18 posts, read 126,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue started before of after you had the roof fixed?
We had the roof fixed spring 2012. It started 2 months ago or at least when we noticed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Before going and blaming your neighbor you better find out the source first. If you recently had the roof repaired it's not too far of a leap to suggest that is the reason.

You had tweo people look at it that told you it wasn't your roof but didn't tell you where the source was?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Before going and blaming your neighbor you better find out the source first. If you recently had the roof repaired it's not too far of a leap to suggest that is the reason.

You had tweo people look at it that told you it wasn't your roof but didn't tell you where the source was?
Ok, let's try this again.

1. We had the entire roof re-surfaced last year.
2. We've had zero issues until the past few months
3. The house next door had a fire in the spring of 2012
4. The house has been vacant since that time.
5. We've had no issues with the room or our roof prior to this.
6. We now have water damages, in fact the picture I provided was after last week. Prior to that it was not there but we saw the signs.
7. We had 2 different companies inspect our roof, both stating there was no place that water could be seeping into our house from our roof.
8. The other buildings roof is in bad shape as per the last person who checked ours. We also had to pay to get their gutters cleaned since water was backing up and the owner would not do it.

There's no other way to check for damage other than ripping our ceiling apart and waiting for it to rain. Now this is where logic comes in. If we have proof our roof is fine and there's no water coming in from our end, where else do you think it's coming from??????

The fact that we hear it dropping onto the ceiling is telling us it is coming from above and I understand why you said what you did but there's more than enough here to put 1 and 1 together. That's why I want the owner to come down and look in their house. LIkely if it's in my home it's in his as well.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM

Going back on this I'm pretty worried about the issue of Mold. If it gets to the point where it's either too expensive for me to afford or it's gotten to the point where the building gets totaled then I'm screwed. Yes I know we're gonna have to go up in the ceiling but what if the original thought is confirmed and it is indeed from their roof. Even if we filling whatever is letting the water in that's not going to be definite and would require that they fix the roof.... so what if they don't do that, then what?

I'm looking at worse scenario here and after looking up other sites where people have had water seep through the firewall I'm pretty nervous right now.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,589,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdmitchell View Post
Well it's a process of elimination. If our roof is in perfect condition it can't let water in. There are no pipes up there so what are the chances of it coming from next door? Especially where the water is sitting?

Remember it's not what you know it's what you can prove. Doesn't matter how new your roof is. You need to verify exactly where the water is entering. Never make an assumption such as the one you have that just because the roof is new it can't be leaking. You need to video the fact it's not your roof and is coming from the adjoining property. I'd call the health department as soon as you verify it's not your leak. It would really suck to have the health department discover it is your leak and you not only have to fix your stuff but the adjoining units.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Quote:
Right. I'm more than aware of the issue and that's what I'm afraid of. Though I don't want to cut out the ceiling only to be stuck with a hole in the ceiling until I get someone there.
Stop worrying about appearances! It's important to open that up so it can dry out. Otherwise, you'll have mold. Waiting until you can get someone there is going to make the job cost way more money. Plus, it will become a health hazard if you wait.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Stop worrying about appearances! It's important to open that up so it can dry out. Otherwise, you'll have mold. Waiting until you can get someone there is going to make the job cost way more money. Plus, it will become a health hazard if you wait.
You're right. I'll be going up there tomorrow with my camera in tow. Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be and I can find the cause of this.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM

Going up there? I meant you need to tear out the damaged drywall on the wall and the ceiling and get air circulation in the ceiling and walls. If you find mold, you need to kill it the right way----properly. (Mold grows on drywall because it's coated with paper on both sides. It even grows under the paint.) You can't blame him for the mold since you've dragged your feet about tearing out that drywall for the past few months. I got water on my ceiling due to a toilet overflowing and I IMMEDIATELY shoved a screw driver into the wet spots to drain the water out, and the proceeded to cut out all of the wet drywall, followed by adding a fan to dry the floor joints etc. I did all of that within 30 minutes of noticing water. According to your post, you've had water for months and you haven't torn anything out. Don't replace the drywall until you find and repair the leak. Living with a big hole in the ceiling and walls is a minor issue compared to what you can have on your hands leaving it like this for too long.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
There's no other way to check for damage other than ripping our ceiling apart and waiting for it to rain.
The ceiling needs to be torn out anyway.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Any recommendations on what I can use to fill in whatever gaps I find in the party wall? Typically I use mortal joint repair sealant. Or do you not recommend I fix it and simply get proof or damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House