Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM

803 posts, read 1,879,385 times

Advertisements

hi, im going to repost my question here because i think i may have put it in the wrong category b4.

i have a crawlspace right now and was wondering if it can be converted into a basement?
not just my crawlspace but also crawlspaces in general.is this a popular project?

also, what are the pros and cons of both a crawlspace and a basement?

i just want more room in my house.

i have a walk up attic but the ceilings are low. is it possible to make them higher to have more living space? or is popping roofs and adding floors unheard of? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
anything is possible, how big is your wallet?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM

lol money talks of course!..doesnt it always?! this is not something i would consider at the moment or in the near future, but i would like to know or just have an idea if it is possible and of course im sure these are pricey converts.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
There are some old threads on the subject of converting crawspaces. Do a search on those if you are really interested. Briefly, you either leave the foundation in place and carefully cut away, leaving enough soil to support it and then reinforcing the interior cuts, or you jack the house, cut away, and install a whole new foundation. The first option is less costly but adds less space than the second.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM

thanx harry chickpea, i will search the old threads.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
There was an article in Fine Homebuilding magazine a few years ago about this. It was in Seattle and cost a bundle to do it.

Foundation issues are the biggest hurdle, as well as egress concerns (depending on the lay of the land). The return on investment would probably be the drawback.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We looked into doing this with one house. It needed foundation repair so we thought what the heck, lets just put in a basement.

However the foundation repari cost $4,500 and the basement woudl have cost $40,000 plus repairs to the interior of the house.

$4,500 won. The house is still on a crawlspace.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy612 View Post
i have a crawlspace right now and was wondering if it can be converted into a basement?
In short, No for the area you live in. The footers for most homes are about two feet below the grade. Most homes in your area are built on cinder blocks and thus they are nowhere close to poured concrete with rebar like is done in the north. In theory you can raise the house, but I don't think any surrounding county will allow it due to the reason mentioned. I thought about it about a decade ago to add a floor to my house. The best quote I got just to reinforce the foundation was $14k by itself. The least expensive way was just to do an addition and purchase a large shed.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
I have a friend that made a crawlspace into a "basement". The foundation needed to be mostly replaced anyway, and the house had to be lifted up off of the old one anyway. It was a fairly deep crawlspace to begin with (a little over 4 feet). She basically made a one story ranch house on a crawl into a bi-level (raised ranch). The foundation wasn't made any deeper, but half walls were built on top of the new foundation and the house was left in a higher position and set on the new lower walls. A small bedroom was replaced on the main level with a staircase into the new lower level. But now the house has two more bedrooms, another bathroom and family room.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy612 View Post
hi, im going to repost my question here because i think i may have put it in the wrong category b4.

not just my crawlspace but also crawlspaces in general.is this a popular project?

also, what are the pros and cons of both a crawlspace and a basement?

i just want more room in my house.

i have a walk up attic but the ceilings are low. is it possible to make them higher to have more living space? or is popping roofs and adding floors unheard of? thanks
Might be less work to change the attic. ~25 yrs ago my parents ripped the roof off our 1 story house and put a new second floor on. Worked farily well except we lived in the house during construction and had a couple of bad rains when the roof was open which caused some leaks. Water flowing through a ceiling light fixture, where the light was on, is a very scary event.

Depending upon how tall the attic ceilings are, you can gain more space by putting a shed dormer on the back, cantilevering the new second floor a couple of feet over the back wall, beefing up the new floor joists to cary the load, etc. If the attic floor is really low, you can chop off the back of the roof, extend the front of the house rafters up to create suitable headroom and then she dormer the back. There is a weather risk when the roof is off the house, but other than that it is fairly straightfoward construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House