Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nope, no kids. We thought they were just typical ugly old tiles. Hadn't a clue they made them with asbestos back then. That was 16 years ago and so far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
I wasn't concerned so much with the tiles as with the germophobia. Did you follow the link?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Fallingwater and Three Wolves. EWWWWWWWWWWW. It makes me never want to travel again. Maybe we should bring our own bedding and a huge piece of plastic to put over the bed. I will ask for all new bedding if I can bring myself to go to another hotel again. That's horrible not changing the sheets between patrons. Beyond nasty.
Grand Trunk Bamboo Blend Sleep Sack Sleeping Bag

Old 10-21-2012, 01:52 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
My comments in black text below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
Sorry if some not understand, just wondering why carpets are so popular when the seem to have many drawbacks and can hide asbestos and other problems with flooring.
Veneer flooring can't really be repaired by sanding down like real hardwood floors, so in time it will have to be replaced.
Rugs are popular for numerous reasons, including the following: provide for a warm and cushioned surface to walk on barefooted, it often prevents injuries on toddlers who are learning to walk, rugs are made with numerous textures and colors, and the padding/rug combination adds a layer of insulation over the cold floor. Asbestos-containing floor tiles and linoleum have been covered not only with rugs, but with wood floors, laminate, and the rest

The USA is country that doesn't care about its people's safety, its always about money, it still allows asbestos to be imported in or manufactured, unlike a lot of other countries that have banned it, asbestos is still not banned in the USA. [Too much money to be made in asbestos]
Wrong. Most countries in the world don't have OSHA, the EPA, DEC, FDA and other agencies. If you want to see pollution, go to Mexico, China, the oil fields in Russia, factories in Korea, etc. Are you aware of the lead-containing children toys from China, dog foods that contain poisons, and even contaminated baby's milk? The use of asbestos products for home use was restricted in the USA back in 1979, but not overseas. Also, asbestos is still used all over the world for the brake-lining of commercial heavy equipment (trucks, tractors, elevators, cranes, graders, and so on). But this asbestos is contained on the brake lining itself. That said, you should worry more about the asbestos in the ground all around the area you live. You never know if some of the hills or bluffs contain asbestos, and the fivers are released in the air and carried to you by the wind

For buying a home that does have carpeting, would the sellers be obligated under disclosure to tell you if asbestos is underneath? Can't you request a home's history of all repair/modifications and const

ruction done on the house while they owned it, and what if they lied about it?

I would even want to know if asbestos was removed from a house in the past that I was going to purchase.

I recently saw a house that had real hardwood floors in every room, it was refreshing!
How do you know that there was not asbestos under the hardwood floor?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Nope, no kids. We thought they were just typical ugly old tiles. Hadn't a clue they made them with asbestos back then. That was 16 years ago and so far so good.
There is no problem with asbestos-containing tiles unless they are broken to pieces. If they are intact, and secured to the floor here isn't a problem. What you don't want to use is to sand them, scrape them, or break them to pieces.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:13 PM

My goodness! If some of you are going to worry about traces of radon in granite tops and floors, what are you going to do about the following products since they too may contain traces of radon?

a. Clay bricks
b. All concrete or clay products (sidewalks, patios, garage floor, house floor, concrete or rock foundations, flower pots, and so on)
c. Ceramic or glass plates and dishes
d. Natural gas
e. Some fertilizers
f. Marijuana grown on soils that contain potassium
h. All glass made of silica (including your eyeglasses, windows, mirrors, etc.)

I would worry more about radon zipping though the concrete or granite floor from the ground below the house.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:07 PM

45,464 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Y'all know what's funny? Years ago carpeting meant you'd "made it" while wood floors were for the "poor" who couldn't afford carpet. Have an old house like mine and you can see the stain on the wood around the perimeter that went just up to the edge of the rug in the center of the room.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Y'all know what's funny? Years ago carpeting meant you'd "made it" while wood floors were for the "poor" who couldn't afford carpet. Have an old house like mine and you can see the stain on the wood around the perimeter that went just up to the edge of the rug in the center of the room.
How times change You are right.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Default History lesson: wall to wall carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wall-to-wall carpeting history from the 1950s to today — an exclusive interview with Emily Morrow, Shaw Floors

Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 AM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times
When I first moved to this state, I was shocked that there was no carpeting in the house. I mean, it gets cold here, wouldn't you have carpeting?

Now that I've been here over a year, I fully and completely understand why they DON'T have carpeting: What these people like to call, "mud season". Yah, I can't even imagine trying to have carpeting in the house what with winter snow and mud, spring mud, mud after a hard rain in the summer, mud after a hard downpour in fall....I'm so thankful there is no carpet here.

animalcrazy: As I said, I did this many, many moons ago, but I started out in Housekeeping in this particular very popular and very well known hotel chain. I don't know about others but I always changed the sheets but we were told not to change the blanket or bedspread. It wasn't a matter of having to lug all those comforters down and trying to save time, we were TOLD not to do it. (And considering just how f-en disgusting some guests can be...I mean, one time, I walked in to a check out room that was so gross, I sat on the corner of the bed and cried...that's how foul some people are and we don't change the bedspreads or blankets? I NEVER hesitate to call for new ones, I do NOT care what they think about that.)

I then pulled a muscle in my back, (from making all of those damn beds, yes, really), and became a runner. That is the one who brings you all of that stuff when you call. If I really liked someone, they were very thankful to me for bringing them a tooth brush or whatever, (like the British Airlines pilot who called me "angel" and made me blush, (he was cute as hell so that didn't help), I would ask them if I could bring them a fresh blanket or bedspread. To the ones who treated me like I was nothing but a pitiful little servant for them, I said nothing.

But what the other said is true: Most of the house keepers are given a large number of rooms to do per day and you only have 6.75 hours to do it, (breaks and lunch), so people would cut corners. (Some also partook in bribery...I kid you not.) Do indeed check under those beds. I've found half eaten sandwiches under mine. And um...treat that toilet like any other public restroom toilet. Is all I'm saying. Oh and the icebucket? Well, if you can, use the plastic baggie thing that lines it. I swear to God, use that plastic baggie thing. If it doesn't have one...find something else to put the ice in. Trust me on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House