Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,326 times

Advertisements

I live in Oklahoma. The crawl space has a dirt floor that goes from four feet high in the south to ten inches in the North. (slopes up hill}. I have an infestation of small black moths that appear when the dirt becomes moist - or the air is humid. I have spread lime dust over the area that I can reach but the bugs return after a few weeks. 100% plastic vapor barrier would be difficult due to the inclined floor, being dirt, it is not even or free of large imbedded rocks. Anyone have a idea how to install a barrier that would get rid of the bugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul1946 View Post
Anyone have a idea how to install a barrier that would get rid of the bugs?
Yeah, a pest control man.
Then figure out where the water is coming from- grade issue, excessive rain, ground water, etc.

Your typical vapor barrier is 6ml poly, over lapping joints, and up the foundation walls. The best would be encapsulation. Which is usually done with foam.

And how small are the "moths"? 'cause I got a snicky suspicion that those "moths" are sewer flies.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul1946 View Post
I live in Oklahoma. The crawl space has a dirt floor that goes from four feet high in the south to ten inches in the North. (slopes up hill}. I have an infestation of small black moths that appear when the dirt becomes moist - or the air is humid. I have spread lime dust over the area that I can reach but the bugs return after a few weeks. 100% plastic vapor barrier would be difficult due to the inclined floor, being dirt, it is not even or free of large imbedded rocks. Anyone have a idea how to install a barrier that would get rid of the bugs?
First thought to mind: sprayed concrete...the kind of application used to create free-form concrete structures over inflatable forms.

Shotcrete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
What's to keep the shotcrete from absorbing ground moisture then expelling it through evaporation? Well, that kindda didn't work did it? Unless you put a vapor barrier down first. And if you did, what's the point of the shotcrete?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
You might look into mobile home vapor barrier recommendation that they use when skirting the mobile home. Wihout the barrier mositrue can cause mold problems with mobile homes.Might do a serch on internet for type ;recommendations.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,326 times
one additional bit of information I forgot to put in the first post: The only entrance to the crawl space is a 3 x 3 door in the middle of the house. that makes it difficult to use spray foam or concrete. We have had pro bug exterminators attempt to eradicate the bugs - but after a short period (3 -4 months) the bugs are back just as strong as before. I'll look into the MH vapor Barrier.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Lime is good, boron products like boric acid or even borax are better. There are also pelletized insect treatments. Your problem may stem from not being able to get good coverage in the tight area. Think "wand" - like a length of electric conduit, a compressor with an air blast tool, and some sort of feed hopper.

The fabric used under manufactured homes might help, but you would have similar installation issues as with plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House