Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM

7,655 posts, read 8,729,058 times

Advertisements

We just bought a chair by mail order. It claims to be leather chair. Well I've seen enough leather stuffs and this one does not look or feel or smell like leather at all. My question is how do I complain it's not real leather to the seller to ask for return? How can I prove it? Returning furniture is a pain and they also charge restocking fee, but if this is not real leather as described, we should be entitled full refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,212,031 times
I'd start by contacting the place you purchased it from. Do you have a link to the store?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,992,622 times
Yes, contact the store. A lot of what is advertised as leather is not leather as we used to know it. It could just have a little ground up leather in the backing. What kind of leather is it supposed to be? Did the description include "blended" or "bi-cast"?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Here is the link to the item and seller (this http://ergohuman.com is apparently the same seller as http://www.thehumansolution.com)

The label under the seat says "100% polyurethane foam pad". As you can see, the description simply says "leather", nowhere says bi-cast, and in the picture the seat and back looks shiny and soft, but the real one is not anywhere near that look/feel. I took some pictures but they may be too large to attach here. I contacted the seller and they said will get back to me.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,055,047 times
It says leather. Not faux leather or pvc. If it's not leather, you are entitled to a full refund, including shipping both ways and any other incidental charges. And no restocking fees of any kind. They misrepresented the product and they are at fault. Don't settle for anything less.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Here are two pictures. First is the seat (compare to the one on the website, this one does not shine), second is close look. I hope you could "smell" it by the look, too!
Attached Thumbnails
What to do..."leather" chair not leather-img_0700trim.jpg   What to do..."leather" chair not leather-img_0701trim.jpg  

Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM

I got the reply from the seller. They said they contacted the manufacturer who said it is "buffalo leather", thus not as soft as cow leather. Well, I am sure it is not leather. The most it can be is bicast leather (which, upon looking up, is what "polyurethane" means), which, if it is the case, is not what one expects when seeing this product description. What say you? Sounds like they will not accept return with full refund and charge round trip shipping.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I got the reply from the seller. They said they contacted the manufacturer who said it is "buffalo leather", thus not as soft as cow leather. Well, I am sure it is not leather. The most it can be is bicast leather (which, upon looking up, is what "polyurethane" means), which, if it is the case, is not what one expects when seeing this product description. What say you? Sounds like they will not accept return with full refund and charge round trip shipping.
The "100% polyurethane foam pad" you are seeing on the tag is referring to the foam pad that makes up the cushioning of the seat and has nothing to do with the covering. In addition, buffalo leather does in fact have a more pronounced grain due to their pattern of hair growth, which would tend to match up with the pictures you posted.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:

The label under the seat says "100% polyurethane foam pad".
Okay... so the innards are poly urethane. That has NOTHING to do with the exterior!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
The most it can be is bicast leather (which, upon looking up, is what "polyurethane" means).
Sorry, but polyurethane does NOT mean bicast leather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House