Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,133,186 times

Advertisements

I say, as a first time homeowner you need to get hubby out there and learn how to be handy if he isn't already. The only way you learn is by getting your hands dirty. His first few projects will probably either A) Not look real good or B) Take forever to do.... until he gets the hang of things. It's growing pains but well worth it. I rarely ever hire anybody to come in my home and do some work. I do have a couple of projects coming up that require cutting holes in my cinder block exterior walls, for this I will hire a professional. I'll put the window in myself though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,559,665 times
Builders make most of their money on these upgrades...

I would pay for the rough-in for the laundry sink, but not the sink installation itself. Other than that, I'd wait and learn some DIY skills and do these things myself.

I also wouldn't have a builder build a deck (they overcharge terribly), but doesn't sound like that's an option.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,157,248 times
I would not pay that kind of money to have the garage door opener installed. You can go buy one at Sears and have them install it for less than half of what the builder wants. The rest of it I would probably pay to just to have it done before I moved in. Its a rip off yes but there is a lot of stress in building a home and moving.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,021 times
Are you able to negotiate a better price if you do all of these items through the builder? I would state to the builder...I'm spending x amount on the house already, I want these items done and I'm willing to pay x amount. See what he/she states...worth the attempt. Also, where is your buyer's agent to help with your negotiations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House