Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,808,599 times

Advertisements

HI All,

We have a birds nest located about 60 feet high or more in a tree right above the entrance to our garage. We are getting lots of bird poop and other gross stuff now in an area we walk through at least 4 times a day. I think the nest has been there about a month now. The smell is terrible, and permeates the garage.

Can we expect the birds to leave the nest anytime soon? Do we need to get rid of the nest somehow, who do we call we are in Connecticut? Is the bird poop and other junk we are walking over and perhaps tracking into our house a safety hazard? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Moderator,

Can you fix the title, i spelled "nest" wrong! Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
Clean up the bird poop and don't worry about it. Just scrape it off the driveway with a garden implement and hose off the area. It really is that simple. Why anyone would go a month and not do anything to clean it up is beyond me.

Likely the chicks will be leaving the nest soon enough. Deal with it in the Fall after the nest is empty and the birds have migrated. Having the tree professionally trimmed back may help deter the same birds from nesting there next year.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,660,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
HI All,

We have a birds nest located about 60 feet high or more in a tree right above the entrance to our garage. We are getting lots of bird poop and other gross stuff now in an area we walk through at least 4 times a day. I think the nest has been there about a month now. The smell is terrible, and permeates the garage.

Can we expect the birds to leave the nest anytime soon? Do we need to get rid of the nest somehow, who do we call we are in Connecticut? Is the bird poop and other junk we are walking over and perhaps tracking into our house a safety hazard? Thanks.
What kind of birds?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM

uh, i have been cleaning it up every few days. who said anything about not doing ANYTHING for a month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Clean up the bird poop and don't worry about it. Just scrape it off the driveway with a garden implement and hose off the area. It really is that simple. Why anyone would go a month and not do anything to clean it up is beyond me.

Likely the chicks will be leaving the nest soon enough. Deal with it in the Fall after the nest is empty and the birds have migrated. Having the tree professionally trimmed back may help deter the same birds from nesting there next year.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM

I don't know. They are too far away for me to tell when I do see one by the nest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What kind of birds?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
they will probably come back every year.

You cna try puting a life sized plastic owl on top of your garage. Or get a crossbow. Just be careful. If you miss ht enest, the bolt is going to land somewhere.

A poer washer should be able to blast the nest away.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,804,087 times
If it is pigeons, sparrows or starlings you can get rid of the nest and/or kill the occupants.

If it is almost anything else, you are probably legally curtailed from intervening.

By you description of the poop, it's probably pigeons.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
You can also offer buy your son a BB gun and offer a reward for the carcass of the birds. It worked for pest birds that I will not mention. (Not sure it is legal to kill them, don[]t want to get my son in trouble).

Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Wash your driveway and leave the birds alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House