Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 PM

903 posts, read 3,579,178 times

Advertisements

Hi-we are going to be changing both and laying either an engineered hardwood/prefinished hardwood or laminate. Which would you do first? Floor or moldings? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I prefer floor.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Wood flooring then toe molding (small 1/4 round molding on top of the flooring, against the wall molding). Wood flooring has a small gap/space at the edges for expansion/contraction. Toe molding covers this gap.

One point of disagreement is should the toe molding be the color of the molding or of the flooring. I say the color of the molding.

Even if no toe molding, wood first then molding to cover the gap.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
If I understand the question correctly, you would install the door mouldings first which runs to the floor, then the base, then the shoe, if any.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
The CPM (Critical Path Method) would be flooring then trim- especially site finished flooring. However, a lot of builders will install prefinished flooring at the end (like when the carpet goes in). This prevents damage to the flooring from the other trades- I have experienced both ways. And from my experience either will work but,

If the trim goes in before the flooring (the prefinished scenario) a flooring installer will usually charge more for his labor because he has to cut door jambs in order to install the flooring correctly.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
It is done both ways...except, if you install the baseboard and the door trim first, you have to leave a space for the floor to slide underneath it. If the proposed flooring is 3/4", then the baseboards will be installed 3/4" off the rough floor such that the flooring slides underneath the base board. In order to do this, have a couple of scraps of the proposed flooring, and use them as 'spacers' to get the baseboard/door trim at the right height. In other words, the flooring slides in under the baseboard and the other trim. At the end, you can add a shoe molding which eases the transition from flooring to basebaord. It also covers any gaps between the flooring and the baseboard. The color of the shoe molding can be either the floor or the trim color. I recently installed a floor and used a shoe which is the same color as the flooring, against a white baseboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House