Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times

Advertisements

I had tried EVERYTHING to get rid of the hard water scales and lime in my dishwasher. I used Dishwasher Magic several times, following directions on the label, and it made little or no difference.

My dishwasher was in horrible shape, and the dishes were coming out with white marks and flakes on them, looking worse than when I put them in.

I happened to be at a local business in their kitchen, while one of the employees was loading their dishwasher. He was using a product I hadn't seen before, Lemi-Shine. I asked about it, and they told me that they actually had to replace a dishwasher because it was completely ruined by hard water and lime. So when the new dishwasher was installed it was recommended to them that they use Lemi-Shine. They use it with every load, and it has kept the inside of the dishwasher looking like new.

So I bought Lemi-Shine at the grocery store, it was much cheaper than Dishwasher Magic.

I couldn't believe how well it worked! The very first time I used Lemi- Shine it took all the lime and hard water scales out of the dishwasher. Now I use a little with each load, and it keeps my dishwasher perfectly clean and the dishes are spotless.

I highly recommend this product for anyone with hard water and lime issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,090 times
I use CLR every once or couple of months for my Dish washer & Washing machine.
Works wonders.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I use CLR every once or couple of months for my Dish washer & Washing machine.
Works wonders.
How do you use CLR? Do you pour some in the soap holder and run the dishwasher empty?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM

3,126 posts, read 5,050,140 times
Thanks for the tip. We've had the same problem and are now adding Borax in with every load. It eventually cleaned all the glassware back up and the scale from the inside of the dishwasher but it sounds like Lemi-shine will get it clean faster.

Also read this on the web site so be careful of some items.
Lemi Shine: Not recommended for painted glassware, painted mugs, aluminum, enamel coated silverware or fine china. Do not use with non stick coated cookware or removable stove top components.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
How do you use CLR? Do you pour some in the soap holder and run the dishwasher empty?
1/2 cup CLR to an empty machine (unto bottom of the machine)...
Run through a normal cycle (I use that) & then do an extra rinse w/ water only.

Another tip... if one run out of CLR & in between buying...
replace CLR occasionally w/ cheap cup of vinegar helps keep the machines in good condition too.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Huh.

My dishwasher has a salt (sodium/potassium chloride) dispenser, that I could fill every few months to kill the water hardness (though I have soft water). Essentially a water softener. These things are not that uncommon. It's a Miele Novotronic dishwasher.
Easiest way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House