Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 35,816 times

Advertisements

Mkarch you fence looks great !! I think the issue for me is the uneven warping of the fence between planks which doesnt allow even coverage with more wood and then there is the issue of the top of the fence warping in a very wavy mannor which again i dont know how to address. I filled much of the cracks with the wood puddy and caulk but I have a feeling it will continue to crack with rain and wind over time. I kind of want a new fence at this point but they cost like 5-10k. Also the new viynal and treated wood is completely smooth and solid so this would disprove the idea that you must have spaces to withstand wind.

I would post a pic if someone will tell me how..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:12 PM

24,454 posts, read 25,987,852 times
^^^ Go to the top of the About The Forum forum, at the top of the page there is a FAQ section that everyone should read, scroll down to

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Obviously you live in a neighborhood with only single story homes.
seems like it, and someplace flat too. Most yards here are really not remotely private. people can see in from their decks or upper windows without even trying. People who want to go naked or have sex in the yard seem more like people trying to get attention than trying to avoid it.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,275 times
Some of the condescending responses on here are ridiculous. (I realize I'm responding four years later). It's not always only about privacy. I have two aggressive pit bulls behind us that go crazy when they see my dogs and cats through the fence. They actually ripped the fence down in 2014 and killed my therapy cat that I took to visit sick folks. I want my slots to be covered for that reason. And, as far as wanting "privacy", depending on your neighbors, you may need it! What if you have a teenage daughter that some pervert neighbor peeks at every time she lays out?

Last edited by Boatbldr; 06-12-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Bats over the gaps, so that you have a board and bat fence.

How much wind do you get? The tighter the fence, the more likely it is to blown down in a storm.

Personally, I'd go with some landscaping to filter the view. I'd be careful about actually fastening plants to grow up the fence, unless the fence was built to support the weight of heavy plants.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
As the poster said , if the fence has no gaps it will blow down easier.. why not get a roll of reeds or rolls of cane, and attach that to the inside of the fence.. I dont like people looking in either as I live next to a public lane and have overlapped the fencing to shut it off where I sit out.. but have left the biggest part with gaps..

Old 07-25-2018, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,585 times
Default What's wrong with privacy?

To the trolling sociopaths who pointlessly (and idiotically) trolled the original poster with easily debunked nonsense ...

So what if someone wants or needs privacy? Maybe you have nothing worth keeping private...

Maybe they live in a ghetto or have weird neighbors or jealous jilted lover or ex, or valuable things they don't want to tempt would-be thieves with.

Maybe someone wants to be naked in the back yard or work on confidential projects.

I just don't get get the mean-spirited BS, just solve the problem, say something germane and helpful to the question/topic or get the f' gone.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times
Wow... you guys have NO idea what this poster's concerns are. There are a NUMBER of legitimate reasons why someone would want their privacy fence to ACTUALLY be private! What kind of person reads a post like this and decides that they should respond with an attack?
What if he has a young daughter and just found out his new neighbor is a pedophile? That's what brought ME to this post!!!!
If you don't have anything productive to add, then keep your damn opinions to yourself!
Tripod - what solution did you end up going with? And, did it work/ would you have done anything differently?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
You all may be right... but you're yelling at people about something that happened 7 years ago.

Just sayin!

Old 05-20-2021, 08:51 AM

423 posts, read 1,930,714 times
For me, it's more about the noise control, not privacy... apparently sound/noise acts a lot like water or wind in that it will penetrate through cracks and the spots of least resistance. I want to find a solution to cover the cracks in my fence to reduce the road traffic I live beside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House