Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 AM

22 posts, read 173,905 times

Advertisements

Hi -
Are window sensors really neccessary in a home security system? We already have several motion detectors installed strategically throughout.

The reason I am asking is because we had new windows installed and during that process the existing windows sensors (bolted down on the old windows) were destroyed. It will cost us a small fortube to replace through ADT!

Thanks in advance for everyones opinion and input!

Last edited by CHSCL; 01-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: revise title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
I think window sensors are a thing of the past. Just well directed motion sensors inside, upstairs and down is all you need. My systems (home and office) have door sensors but those are needed so that you remember to turn the system off on arrival. But, I am surprised that you can remove the sensors without ADT reconfiguring the system.

The argument in favor of window sensors is that the system goes off before they actually enter the house, which is a good point, but not worth the hassle for my thinking. Outside motion sensor lighting is far more likely to discourage that.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I am surprised that you can remove the sensors without ADT reconfiguring the system.
We didnt have anything re-configured as yet ...we had an initial visit from and ADT sales rep and we did advise him that we would be replacing the windows. he just told us to try to save the window sensors since they would cost us over $60 a pop to replace . Unfortunately, they were almost impossible to remove and ended up getting destroyed.

I wonder how much ADT will charge me to re-configure. hadnt thought about that!

Also, after reading several threads, we are considering to not pay for costly monitoring - but havent figured out how to just activate the alarm on its own as yet.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
I think window sensors are a thing of the past. Just well directed motion sensors inside, upstairs and down is all you need. My systems (home and office) have door sensors but those are needed so that you remember to turn the system off on arrival. But, I am surprised that you can remove the sensors without ADT reconfiguring the system.

The argument in favor of window sensors is that the system goes off before they actually enter the house, which is a good point, but not worth the hassle for my thinking. Outside motion sensor lighting is far more likely to discourage that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I put in the plunger-style window sensors (hardwired) myself. Directed motion sensors work well, but if you have animals, the whole 'pet alley' concept is somewhat of a fallacy. I put in motion cameras (they are cheap nowadays), and fed to a huge hard drive. As I stated in another post, it is set up to notify you on your cell phone (live video included). Since my cell is always with me, I find out as quickly as a company like ADT, and in my case I can see what caused it. (I put in smoke/fire detectors, as well as low-temperature detector). For what ADT charges every month ($36), I can put in one hell of a system.

Locally, fines can get nasty for excessive false alarms. (I think they start billing you after the 2nd one).

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Well, I put in the plunger-style window sensors (hardwired) myself. Directed motion sensors work well, but if you have animals, the whole 'pet alley' concept is somewhat of a fallacy. I put in motion cameras (they are cheap nowadays), and fed to a huge hard drive. As I stated in another post, it is set up to notify you on your cell phone (live video included). Since my cell is always with me, I find out as quickly as a company like ADT, and in my case I can see what caused it. (I put in smoke/fire detectors, as well as low-temperature detector). For what ADT charges every month ($36), I can put in one hell of a system.

Locally, fines can get nasty for excessive false alarms. (I think they start billing you after the 2nd one).

I asked you the last time what system you had that gave good results at night. Shall we try again? We challenged a fine for false alarm last the only time it happened and won. All I did was write a letter to the City that said: "and, exactly how did you determine it was a false alarm." Decision for owner.

I like ADT because with the monitoring, they get the police there. They put in my system for free for a two year contract for monitoring at their advertised prices.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Just had a thought - if I had no window sensors - how am I protected when I am home? I dont suppose I could have my motions sensors activated as I would be setting them off no?
Sorry such noob questions - we are first time home owners .

Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSCL View Post
Just had a thought - if I had no window sensors - how am I protected when I am home? I dont suppose I could have my motions sensors activated as I would be setting them off no?
Sorry such noob questions - we are first time home owners .
Having said this- do ppl actually have their systems activated while they are at home?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I asked you the last time what system you had that gave good results at night. Shall we try again? We challenged a fine for false alarm last the only time it happened and won. All I did was write a letter to the City that said: "and, exactly how did you determine it was a false alarm." Decision for owner.

I like ADT because with the monitoring, they get the police there. They put in my system for free for a two year contract for monitoring at their advertised prices.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted it yesterday, under the thread 'Do you have surveillance? Property damage...', post #12. That one should work fine. Internet connection, everything. I need more info in terms of the number of cameras needed, maximum detection distance, etc. Your question is like asking "what vehicle should I buy?", without telling me anything.

In my case, the system was mostly homebrew, cost was no object for the cameras etc, and most people don't want to spend that type of money.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSCL View Post
Having said this- do ppl actually have their systems activated while they are at home?

Yes... only the perimeter alarms at night, and the outdoor cameras are on 24/7.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
We have "glass break" alarms on our back windows. Supposedly they can detect the sound of breaking glass and activate the system. Never tried them - they were already here when we bought the house. And count me as one of those people who has their alarm on when they're home - when we go to bed. "Stay" mode arms everything except the motion detectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House