Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 PM

230 posts, read 1,217,872 times

Advertisements

Prairie, the Fireplace company came out Monday, and immediately commented on our builder (K.Hovnanian homes in Virginia), "Oh yeahh, this is a standard shoddy job of K. Hovnanian fireplace installation." Basically, our builder did not provide sufficient insulation in the chase/doghouse portion, which in our case is a two-story family room. Their quote to fix it was $1500!!

He did say we have done a good job of quick-fixes, with adding insulation under the firebox, where the gas line comes in (big culprit), blocking the direct vent out the back with insulation (since we do not use it), and even taking off the metal box on the back of the house, and covering the hole with sheet metal (I guess we could caulk it to help also). We also bought those black magnetic strips to cover the louvers on the front of the fireplace. It has definitely helped overall, but it just stinks that the minimal code and the builder provided such minimal insulation in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM

131 posts, read 454,572 times
Thank you Zak! We fear the same shoddy work! This weekend we made a cover for the vent outside, we probably have a few leaks under the firebox as well. (will check this weekend) I have the front taped with the window plastic but this week we had 42mph winds...its like a living breathing entity.
$1500. - Yikes! Thanks again!
prairie

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,142,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Prairie, the Fireplace company came out Monday, and immediately commented on our builder (K.Hovnanian homes in Virginia), "Oh yeahh, this is a standard shoddy job of K. Hovnanian fireplace installation." Basically, our builder did not provide sufficient insulation in the chase/doghouse portion, which in our case is a two-story family room. Their quote to fix it was $1500!!

He did say we have done a good job of quick-fixes, with adding insulation under the firebox, where the gas line comes in (big culprit), blocking the direct vent out the back with insulation (since we do not use it), and even taking off the metal box on the back of the house, and covering the hole with sheet metal (I guess we could caulk it to help also). We also bought those black magnetic strips to cover the louvers on the front of the fireplace. It has definitely helped overall, but it just stinks that the minimal code and the builder provided such minimal insulation in the first place.
I'd go to the builder with your report. I would also consider talking to a lawyer (free consultation) about your problem. You'll be surprised what builders will do when they get some extra heat. If you still don't get anywhere, talk to your neighbors and see if they have the same problem. If they do, you should contact the local media.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,674 times
I have a wood burning fireplace the damper is wide open, I get smoke in thehouse when burning wood,there are chains on the side of the firebox that open or close could this be my problem and should they be open or closed when burning.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,674 times
I have a wood burning fireplace the damper is wide open, I get smoke in thehouse when burning wood,there are chains on the side of the firebox that open or close could this be my problem and should they be open or closed when burning.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,217 times
We have a heatilator also. It is the worst. Keep a fireplace blanket over it and never use it. It is always windy and freezing in winter and you can see outside through vent and pollen gets in in the spring. 
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House