Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,666 times

Advertisements

Watch for a sale. Big box stores often have deals that include free installation and free haul-away of the old water heater. We got ours from Home Depot about 2 years ago. Free installation and haul-away included, plus good financing options. Haven't had a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
maybe you could give us one example of why those are better. HD and Lowe's have sold millions of them, and I don't see any complaints on this board and/or class action law suits. Haven't heard of any house fires either. Let me guess..you drive a GM Auto?
Because if you buy it yourself some contractor can't charge you twice what he paid for it and 6 or 700 to install it.

Since city-data is more open to dissenting opinions I can state; In MY opinion 60% of contractors are scam artists with a license.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
I don't think they (the dishonest ones) were born thieves, but I think they get to a point where they have to rob Peter, to pay Paul. A number of them have had very expensive substance abuse problems, a number have very expensive marriages or girlfriends, many are uneducated and/or horrible with finance. Great chefs' restaurants fail all the time. That is because it is more about financial management than cooking. Same is true in contracting. And you can add to that the large numbers that were ruined during this crash.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I don't think they (the dishonest ones) were born thieves, but I think they get to a point where they have to rob Peter, to pay Paul. A number of them have had very expensive substance abuse problems, a number have very expensive marriages or girlfriends, many are uneducated and/or horrible with finance. Great chefs' restaurants fail all the time. That is because it is more about financial management than cooking. Same is true in contracting. And you can add to that the large numbers that were ruined during this crash.
I believe if you do good work at a fair price you will have more work than time to do it, instead of gouging each customer and not think about referrals or repeat business.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I believe if you do good work at a fair price you will have more work than time to do it, instead of gouging each customer and not think about referrals or repeat business.
I agree. For those that "screw" their customers, don't they realize the potential business they are going to lose?

Most people ask friends who to call when they need a service like this.

Do they really want their customer to tell their friends: "Well, whatever you do.....DON'T call So and So."

Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I will repeat this again: AVOID water heaters sold at big-box stores. Their quality is horrible. Instead, call some local plumbers and have them install for you either a Bradford White or Rheem unit ONLY. No exceptions.
I took your advice and called a local plumber for either a BW or Rheem.
The price between those and the Kenmore I was looking for were pretty much the same.

I asked for 50gal - 40,000 btu and instead I was given a 50gal - 38,000 btu.
Before the install I caught that is was a 38btu and not 40 like I asked.
The plumber told me that Rheem revamped their rating and that a new 38,000 btu is equivalent to an old Rheem 40,000 btu.

My old water heater was a BW 40,000 btu and supposedly this new Rheem at 38,000 btu is the same as the old BW.

He said I wasn't the first to catch that and past customers have asked about that as well and each time he tells them about the revamping of the Rheem rating.

Any truth to that? I tried to do a search and didn't find anything.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
I took your advice and called a local plumber for either a BW or Rheem.
The price between those and the Kenmore I was looking for were pretty much the same.

I asked for 50gal - 40,000 btu and instead I was given a 50gal - 38,000 btu.
Before the install I caught that is was a 38btu and not 40 like I asked.
The plumber told me that Rheem revamped their rating and that a new 38,000 btu is equivalent to an old Rheem 40,000 btu.

My old water heater was a BW 40,000 btu and supposedly this new Rheem at 38,000 btu is the same as the old BW.

He said I wasn't the first to catch that and past customers have asked about that as well and each time he tells them about the revamping of the Rheem rating.
Any truth to that? I tried to do a search and didn't find anything.
Sounds pretty fishy to me. An output rating is just what it says output. If the new model has a lower rating it outputs less, unless the previous stated output was incorrect. I would contact Rheen for the stright skinny

Last edited by whirnot; 12-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House