Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,771,790 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here have one of these quartz heaters like the Eden Pure advertised on TV?

I bought a different brand thru Northern Tool and is has a fake fireplace flickering on front and oak cabinet. They say they use same electric as a coffee pot.

Got my 1st light bill today for last 34 days and it was 50.00 less than same time last yr and same kilowatts used. My gas bill was 100.00 less at only 26.00.

My house is 110 yrs old and no insulation in walls, and old windows. We added R30 insulation in attic a month ago and use 3 extra small heaters in 3 different rooms. Run washer and dryer every other day.

We are moving into our 680 sq.ft. very updated and well insulated with new windows trailer in a month. It has new electric furnas and we hope to have a very small bill with this little heater.

I wish I had bought one earlier. I only paid 248.00 including shipping for mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Does anyone on here have one of these quartz heaters like the Eden Pure advertised on TV?

I bought a different brand thru Northern Tool and is has a fake fireplace flickering on front and oak cabinet. They say they use same electric as a coffee pot.

Got my 1st light bill today for last 34 days and it was 50.00 less than same time last yr and same kilowatts used. My gas bill was 100.00 less at only 26.00.

My house is 110 yrs old and no insulation in walls, and old windows. We added R30 insulation in attic a month ago and use 3 extra small heaters in 3 different rooms. Run washer and dryer every other day.

We are moving into our 680 sq.ft. very updated and well insulated with new windows trailer in a month. It has new electric furnas and we hope to have a very small bill with this little heater.

I wish I had bought one earlier. I only paid 248.00 including shipping for mine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Got my 1st light bill today for last 34 days and it was 50.00 less than same time last yr and same kilowatts used."

If you used the same number of kilowatts last year and the bill went down, then the only explanation is that the electric rate went down.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Got my 1st light bill today for last 34 days and it was 50.00 less than same time last yr and same kilowatts used."

If you used the same number of kilowatts last year and the bill went down, then the only explanation is that the electric rate went down.
I said that wrong then. Last yr average temp was 41 degrees and this time it was 40 degrees. Last yrs reading was for 3o days and this was 34 days.

My electric bill was 219.00 and last yr it was 262.00. If the rates changed they did not change that much or I would have noticed it this summer.

I am a believer in these heaters and you must have some doubts IMO.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
That sounds almost religious.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Your house is a bit older than mine but everything else seems similar. I now heat with a large pellet stove. I have been looking at these Eden Pure heaters as supplemental heat. I will follow this thread with interest.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
I said that wrong then. Last yr average temp was 41 degrees and this time it was 40 degrees. Last yrs reading was for 3o days and this was 34 days.

My electric bill was 219.00 and last yr it was 262.00. If the rates changed they did not change that much or I would have noticed it this summer.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quartz heaters are direct-radiant heaters, so as long as you sit in line-of-sight of them, you may feel warm (the rest of the house may be freezing, but you will feel warm). The quartz heaters came and went in the 1980's. Good for specific applications, but I prefer to walk around in the house in bare feet, when it is 5 degrees outside, and be warm.

Convection heating, that can be accomplished with wood or pellet or coal or electic stoves, (or any stove that has convection as a method to transfer heat ) will make the overall house feel much more comfortable inside. Remember: radiation, conduction and convection.

You can believe what you want. I just follow the rules of thermodynamics.

Without you knowing all the variables involved in your situation, and providing only a single sample point, no conclusion of any sort can be reached.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quartz heaters are direct-radiant heaters, so as long as you sit in line-of-sight of them, you may feel warm (the rest of the house may be freezing, but you will feel warm). The quartz heaters came and went in the 1980's. Good for specific applications, but I prefer to walk around in the house in bare feet, when it is 5 degrees outside, and be warm.

Convection heating, that can be accomplished with wood or pellet or coal or electic stoves, (or any stove that has convection as a method to transfer heat ) will make the overall house feel much more comfortable inside. Remember: radiation, conduction and convection.

You can believe what you want. I just follow the rules of thermodynamics.

Without you knowing all the variables involved in your situation, and providing only a single sample point, no conclusion of any sort can be reached.
The temps here at night have been in single digits and highs in day in teens and 20's mostly.

Where am I... I just woke up...must have been dreaming when I got my light and gas bills. Gas furnas is main source of heat and ran very little. House stays warm for us and only use light blanket at night and socks only when around house.

We were going to get a pellet stove but way to expensive for use only few months and wood burning stove is hard to get wood since I am disabled and unable to cut wood. Pickup load of wood here is 80 to 150.00 a load and 1.50/mile delivery. Defeats the need to cut costs.

My heater was only 248.00 and even if it is a figment of my imagination that I am saving money I will use it until it stops.

Last edited by Bigg Mann; 12-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: adding more content

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
We have a small rent house (approx. 1,000 ft2) that I installed a 30,000 BTU ProComm radiant natural gas heater (vent free) on the living room wall in a few years ago. This is an older house with very old wooden windows but it has insulation in the ceiling and the floor. It is by no means a "tight" house when it comes to heating or cooling especially when the spring and fall west Texas winds are blowing. I find this radiant heater does a really good job heating this house although, in order to get the heat distributed through the rooms, I recommend to my tenants they may want to use a couple of floor fans. The heater is very economical.

I offer this only as another possible heating solution. These heaters come in all sizes.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Electric heaters produce 3,412 BTU's per kWh, that does not change whether it's standard baseboard electric, expensive edenpure, incandescent bulb or even a hair dryer. The only thing that differs between these units is how they disperse the heat. If we have a toaster for example it's heating a small volume of air to a very high temperature. The ednpure on the other hand heats a great volume of air to lower temperature and disperses that heat better since it has a fan. You could of course get the same effect using any elemental heater with a fan at a much lower cost for the unit.

Using national averages electric is one the most expensive forms of heat you can use, at this point in time about equal to oil heat. If we were to compare it to natural gas from the street which is fairly cheap at the moment:

Electric @$0.11/kWh = $32.24 per million BTU
Natural Gas @$10.00/Mcf = $11.11 per million BTU

These costs are based on national averages and assumes 90% efficiency with the natural gas. You can use this calculator to get figures for your local rates here, be sure to adjust the efficiency if possible as it can have very big effect:

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating

Using those numbers you could heat more than 2.5 times the space with natural gas for the same cost as electric. The only way you will save money with one of these space heaters is if you turn the thermostats down in the rest of the house and use it to heat one room. If you have a small 3 room house the savings would be negligible and you'd have 2 cold rooms. If you have a larger home you'd be better off making the investment in zones or get a small gas fireplace/wall heater. Up front costs might be more but the long term savings make it worth while.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
We were going to get a pellet stove but way to expensive for use only few months
Again natural gas prices are very low and using the price from Lowes of $4.49 per 40 pound bag or $224 per ton it would cost you nearly double what the natural gas costs. Natural gas costs are so low right now it's nearly competitive with anthracite coal in the heart of the anthracite coal region and that is really impressive. Having said that I've seen cheap NG prices before and many other fuels flirt with the rock steady cost of heating with coal. It's a viscous cycle, everyone starts switching and they all eventually go back up.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House