Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,688,025 times
"If" I am to be living in it...

I would modernize its heating, windows, insulate the attic & such to save on energy bills.
But keep the historic look of say the Victorian Corbels, moldings... keep a stain glass window / two etc.

But, usually that much older home that needs TLC & updates would not interest me as much as a move in one.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Here is a website that did a fabulous job of renovating and updating a 1930s era kitchen. Good Home Construction's Renovation Blog: Completed Pictures for a 1930's Vintage Kitchen
Thank for sending this link kshe95girl!

I own a 1930s Arts & Crafts house and my kitchen looks alot like the "Before" pic. Have not touched it yet as I am contemplating what exactly to do. But I do want to save my cabinets. They are massive and thick and maybe just need some paint, new hardware, etc.

I, too, have a double-drainboard farmhouse sink, like the one in this pic (white not the green one): Real porcelain enamel coating to restore your drainboard sink, tub or stove

.. .and my sink is a "Wow!" factor whenever people visit, even in my unrenovated kitchen

Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,943,372 times
My own personal tastes? If I had an older home I would probably modernize the kitchen and bathrooms, and leave the rest pretty much the same. With an older home, you have the opportunity to choose the best of old and new. I have lived with a claw foot tub and all I can say is, never again! I see no redeeming qualities in older bathrooms and I would love a spacious, modern bathroom with a big tile shower instead. Modern kitchens eliminate so much work, and look bright and pretty. I would want a completely remodeled kitchen with granite and all the "bells and whistles".

On the other hand, nothing is a bigger turn-off to me than a beautiful historic living room painted some weird, bright color like they do so often on HGTV -- I'd leave it white or cream, something that doesn't draw the attention away from the beautiful architectural details, like molding, medallions, windows, and built-ins. I'd leave all of that sort of thing alone. I might even add some authentic architectural details from a salvage store if they were missing, but I would try to be as faithful to the original style as possible.

After scanning through this thread briefly, I can see that opinions vary greatly on this. But then, thank goodness that we aren't all of the same mind about everything. If we were, we'd have nothing to discuss!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
On the other hand, nothing is a bigger turn-off to me than a beautiful historic living room painted some weird, bright color like they do so often on HGTV -- I'd leave it white or cream . . .
Found this pic of a historic home and fab kitchen. Puts a different twist on the use of color. And definitely not HGTV:

(VISUAL TREATS) For All of My Design-Obsessed Peeps: HOMEGROWN TALENT / DC DESIGNERS -- Day 2, Mary Douglas Drysdale

Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Here is a website that did a fabulous job of renovating and updating a 1930s era kitchen.
Good Home Construction's Renovation Blog: Completed Pictures for a 1930's Vintage Kitchen
I like the "before" pictures better, LOL - although the renovation is beautifully done.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 AM

630 posts, read 1,718,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I like the "before" pictures better, LOL - although the renovation is beautifully done.
I agree!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 AM

5,513 posts, read 9,504,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
My own personal tastes? If I had an older home I would probably modernize the kitchen and bathrooms, and leave the rest pretty much the same. With an older home, you have the opportunity to choose the best of old and new. I have lived with a claw foot tub and all I can say is, never again! I see no redeeming qualities in older bathrooms and I would love a spacious, modern bathroom with a big tile shower instead. Modern kitchens eliminate so much work, and look bright and pretty. I would want a completely remodeled kitchen with granite and all the "bells and whistles".

On the other hand, nothing is a bigger turn-off to me than a beautiful historic living room painted some weird, bright color like they do so often on HGTV -- I'd leave it white or cream, something that doesn't draw the attention away from the beautiful architectural details, like molding, medallions, windows, and built-ins. I'd leave all of that sort of thing alone. I might even add some authentic architectural details from a salvage store if they were missing, but I would try to be as faithful to the original style as possible.

After scanning through this thread briefly, I can see that opinions vary greatly on this. But then, thank goodness that we aren't all of the same mind about everything. If we were, we'd have nothing to discuss!
This is simply a matter of taste, but I prefer colors. (I rarely watch HGTV, so I don't know if the colors I prefer are that weird and bright, though.) I choose colors that highlight the woodwork. When I moved into my current house, all of the walls were off-white, and the woodwork just looked dark brown. So, I chose colors to bring out the golden hues of the original oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House