Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right forum in which to post this query, but is it okay to leave a nice quality dining pad on a new dining room table year-round? I searched the internet trying to see if there was an obvious reason not to, but couldn't find anything. The table is from Pottery Barn (although still a veneer top, ugh!) and so is the accompanying table pad. We use the table a fair amount so end up keeping the pad on all the time, I just didn't know if there was a reason that this would be bad for the finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
It should not harm the table unless something gets spilled and under the pad and doesn't get cleaned up immediately. Note that whenever a tabletop is covered for a long period of time you may notice that the exposed portion of the table may fade from routine sunlight where the covered portion will remain unfaded. You are not talking about a high end dining table so I would not worry about that too much. Take the pad off when you do your routine cleaning/oiling of your wood furnutre and allow it to breath.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum in which to post this query, but is it okay to leave a nice quality dining pad on a new dining room table year-round? I searched the internet trying to see if there was an obvious reason not to, but couldn't find anything. The table is from Pottery Barn (although still a veneer top, ugh!) and so is the accompanying table pad. We use the table a fair amount so end up keeping the pad on all the time, I just didn't know if there was a reason that this would be bad for the finish.
You're worried about the finish of a table on which you leave a pad all the time? It sounds like you put the pad on specifically when the table is to be used. And that would be the oniy time anyone would see it anyway, right? So why worry about a finish no one is ever going to see?

Personally, I've never understood the thought process behind buying a really nice table that you cover up every time you invite guests over to dine at that table. If it's going to be covered anyway, why not buy the cheapest piece of wood that will hold the dishes? Even if you buy the nicest table cover you can find, it's still going to be cheaper than the nice table.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You're worried about the finish of a table on which you leave a pad all the time? It sounds like you put the pad on specifically when the table is to be used. And that would be the oniy time anyone would see it anyway, right? So why worry about a finish no one is ever going to see?

Personally, I've never understood the thought process behind buying a really nice table that you cover up every time you invite guests over to dine at that table. If it's going to be covered anyway, why not buy the cheapest piece of wood that will hold the dishes? Even if you buy the nicest table cover you can find, it's still going to be cheaper than the nice table.
These are my thoughts as well. My MIL bought a very expensive oak dining room table. She had the amish craft it. I have one seen the table top once in 23 yrs. She keeps it covered with a pad and tablecloth. Life is short. Enjoy your table.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Because there might be points in time when I want to not have it covered and I don't like to intentionally ruin things I purchase.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Because there might be points in time when I want to not have it covered and I don't like to intentionally ruin things I purchase.
There's a difference between using something as it was designed to be used (i.e. serving dinner on the table surface) and intentionally ruining the thing (i.e. carving your initials in the surface of the table with a butterknife.)

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Someone in one of the forums was recently having problems with a tung oil finished table, that had been covered with the cover leaving lint embedded into the softened finish. If by veneer you mean one of the formica fake wood grain tops, I doubt you would have a problem. Real wood veneer with a traditional finish, I would leave that alone.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I only use my cover when I am putting down a tablecloth and setting the table. We do not eat at the table unless it is completely covered and protected. I always leave the table uncovered at all other times. In answer to your question, I would never leave just the table cover on. To me, that's like leaving plastic on your lampshades.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between using something as it was designed to be used (i.e. serving dinner on the table surface) and intentionally ruining the thing (i.e. carving your initials in the surface of the table with a butterknife.)
I meant I don't want to intentionally ruin the table if leaving the pad on 100% of the time would do so, hence the reason I'm asking the question (since the question was posed, why would I care if I leave it on all the time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House