Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM

52 posts, read 99,862 times

Advertisements

I went to make Shepard's Pie yesterday for dinner and when I opened the oven, I saw a HUGE crack from one side to the other of the interior glass "window". We just moved in to our apartment a week ago, so we have not used the oven yet. Is it safe to use still? We are able to use the stovetop fine (its one of those flat ones). The last thing I need is to be cooking dinner and the oven blow up. Thanks in advance! It's an RCA, but am unsure as to the model or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busibee23 View Post
We just moved in to our apartment a week ago...
is this a self cleaning oven?
and is it real clean right now?

call your management co to put in a repair order.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM

It is a self cleaning oven, and its not overly clean (self cleaning essentially only heats the oven over 500-600 degrees to burn anything in the oven to dust). We do not have a Management Co, as it is a privately owned house, BUT I was hoping that we would not have another thing that we have to let him know about (I feel bad for everything else he has already had to listen to us about). My concern is not about cleaning it, it is about using it in a regular making dinner type fashion

Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,864,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busibee23 View Post
It is a self cleaning oven, and its not overly clean (self cleaning essentially only heats the oven over 500-600 degrees to burn anything in the oven to dust). We do not have a Management Co, as it is a privately owned house, BUT I was hoping that we would not have another thing that we have to let him know about (I feel bad for everything else he has already had to listen to us about). My concern is not about cleaning it, it is about using it in a regular making dinner type fashion
If it is owned by the landlord, I'd bet they want to know it's broken now instead of later.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,833,407 times
Aren't you better off telling your LL now and that you haven't even used it at all and found it broken. Otherwise he'll assume you broke it. I wouldn't use it until the LL acknowledges it and has already put in an order for a repair. I doubt you'll blow up the oven, at worse you'll make the glass crack more. (IMO)

Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I am thinking we will just have to let him know (not that I intended on keeping it from him), I was just hoping it was not a situation where we can not use it until it is fixed. The crack is enough that it goes from one side to the other (lengthwise) and at one end you can feel the difference in height of the glass at the crack.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,990,022 times
Definitely let the landlord know, and considering I haven't seen the RCA brand on an appliance since the late 80's, I say it's due for a replacement anyways.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Really? Its THAT old? Ha, and I was stoked cuz I thought it seemed newer (not NEW, just newer than Ive had in the past LOL).

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM

538 posts, read 1,523,198 times
Let the landlord know, but you can still used it. When I was a kid, we used an over with a crack in the glass for about 17 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House