Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryDog View Post
Air infiltration from outdoors is the next issue the leads to excess moisture in your house. You want to seal cracks and openings in your walls, doors, and windows. Check your sill plate (board that sits on top of the concrete basement wall) and band joists (board that forms the wall at the end on your floor joists) for cracks and openings.
I think that it depends on the house. Newer houses that are sealed have more problems with mold than older houses that allow air to pass through. It also depends on whether you have AC which also removes humidity. If you do nto have AC you are better off having air infiltration (including open windows) to reduce the likelihood of mold.

We blow the cool air from the basement up into our house to cool it on hot days. It works well and noticably cools 2-3 rooms. It is also noticeably less humid in the rooms where the air is cooler.

This may be because as I understand it, humidity levels are relative. In other words 65% humidity is air that is holding 65% of the moisture that it can hold without condensing. Hot air holds more moisture than cold air. Thus cold air at 75% humidity is drier than hot air at 65% humidity. Because hot air can hold higher levels of water vapor without condensing. On the other hand, I cannot remember where I learned this, so maybe it is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
What percentage of humidity is good for a basemnent? do I need to move the dehumidifier to different locations in the basement (1,000 square feet)?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
the moisture in my basement is warping my brand new wood floors and my old ones all on the upper floors,I have a Humidifier in the basment on 24hrs and change the water every other day still no help I wonder if just getting another one will solve the problem?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobbo View Post
...I have a Humidifier in the basment on 24hrs...
Problem solved-
Use a DE-humidifier.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Problem solved-
Use a DE-humidifier.

I was thinking they misspoke but they also said "change" the water.

On a similar note; Coming from an area with high humidity people that speak of swamp coolers makes me cringe.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,947 times
I want to dehumidify a 2700 sq ft basement unfinished. 9 ft ceilings. 2009 build. current rh is 62%. ranch, upstairs rh is 55%
I was looking at a a aprilaire 1850f. I see it claims 95 pints a day and 230 cfm. and 2200-2500 sq ft. But i also see very inexpensive units at 70 pints and 194 cfm. claiming 1400 sq ft. is the 1000.00 unit that much better? would i be ok with a 200.00 unit?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
We bought a doublewide on a foundation and the basement is damp. When a doublewide is put on foundation and ready to live in the companys usually have a black tarp/plastic under the home along with the insulation. I would like to know, living upstairs I think the dampness is in our carpet due to it always feeling damp. I was wondering if I bring a dehumidifier up from the basement and I run it will it pull excess water out of the carpet? My carpet always seems to be damp. I am wondering what I should do? I am so tired of when I go to bed in the pm that our sheets and blankets feel damp. Any suggestions for me? I would love any help you can give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House