Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 PM

150 posts, read 705,806 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good cleaner to remove spots and surface clean a microfiber couch? Our couches are not old enough for us to get them professionally clean but we have a active one year old and spills and messes happen.

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,000,049 times
I believe water and a cloth towel is all you are supposed to use (with some scrubbing, that's all I've ever used and my couches look great post-cleaning). But with a search online I found a great link to a discussion about this that mentions use of a magic eraser and water with ammonia (or Windex).

Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,517,785 times
Mine was pretreated with a stainguard and the care instructions say just a damp cloth and that has been working fine. I just lightly dab at the stain and then let it air dry.

For mine, it specifically said not to scrub because it will stretch and misshape the cloth, but maybe that's just mine (it's a structured-look sofa).

I have pets and I use a lot of Woolite Pet Stain with really good results (on carpet, etc.). You might want to give this or one of the other Woolite products a try if you have a stubborn stain (just test it in an inconspicuous spot first).

Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 380,906 times
I have pre-treated microfiber as well, and I also just use a damp cloth. I have to say, I am amazed by how easily it comes clean this way!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 63,830 times
how do get the back cushions on a micrfibe couch back to fluffiness

Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,367,911 times
You may not have noticed this post was from 2007... where did you find it? But, if your cushions are removable, you can drop/throw them back to fullness. I've done so with floor pillows & yoga mats dropped from the 2nd to 1st floor & it works everytime. 4-5 drops should work depending upon how flat they are in the beginning. You can also hold them overhead or as high as possible & throw them to the floor. I'm not strong, so a 2nd floor drop is my best option.

If they're not removable, beating them (yes, seriously), either by punching or using any kind of board, large wooden spoon, etc will work... kind of the way you'd punch a feather pillow around to reshape it but with a bit more force. When I was a kid, we seasonally beat wool rugs, feather comforters & throw/bed pillows hung over the line to clean the dust & reallign the contents. If your cushions can rest out in the fresh air & sunshine for a day, as well, so much the better.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 138,761 times
Microfiber is a very soft and durable material used on sofas and furniture. Sometimes it is called MicroSuede. Keep on hand a Microfiber cleaning product to clean up spills or oil substances. Several products to try are: Guardsman Microfiber Furniture cleaning Kit, or the Guardsman AFTA Spot Cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House