Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Liabilty has changed everything with the tort system now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
I have 2 steam irons with auto-shutoff and both shutoff no matter what I'm doing. There is no preset time to it!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm not sure where to post this, but I've had it with irons. I want an old fashioned iron that just gets hot and does not shut off every couple of minutes while I'm ironing. I do not even care if it has steam or not. I'll go back to the old sprinkler bottle method, if I have to.
I too, have become so frustrated with trying to iron with multiple brands of irons, currently a Rowenta, all of which required much shaking and unplugging while you are trying to iron to keep them heated. The so-called 8-minute rule is a crock. They all cut off while you are ironing in less than 30 seconds - while the iron is moving -- unless you constantly lift it. Even then it will cut off intermittently. When you have hours of ironing to do, this extra lifting and shaking adds not only frustration but time and work to the chore. (Thanks to more government intervention into our daily lives.)

Good news however, I hope: After much searching, today I found a Brentwood Classic Steam Iron at the Vermont Country Store. Their online chat person assured me that this iron does NOT have the auto shutoff feature. At the Vermont store it costs $39.99 plus $7.95 shipping. However, I see it at Amazon.com for $22.20, eligible for free shipping on purchases of $25 or more. The description on Amazon does not list auto shutoff as a feature. There is one review from a customer who "loves" it. I am going to order it today and will post results here once I have received and used it.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
I am extremely frustrated looking for a good economical steam iron . I Iron every day and I need a good one. I have had 2 sharks . They had a lot of steam and seemed good for about 6 mo. The first one started leaking water and staining my clothes . I am hunting diligently again because my second Shark, just broke. The automatic shut off keeps shutting off after a few seconds making it impossible to iron so I tossed it . I was all set to order a panasonic that got great reviews , even higher than Rowenta , when I read if the iron isn't moved in 60 seconds it will shut off . Are you kidding me ?? I found this forum while hunting for a good economical steam iron that does NOT shut off automatically. I am very discouraged by these posts that I will be successful finding one . Guess at this point , I'm just venting ...

Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,560 times
Default No-auto shutoff iron - brentwood classic

In July I bought a Brentwood Classic Steam Iron through Amazon.com for $22.20. It DOES NOT have the auto shutoff feature and thank goodness! This is the only brand I have been able to find without that feature. I sew and keep an iron going every day. It is a huge relief not to have to keep fighting with an iron cutting off constantly.

I have tried every brand of iron including Rowenta, GE, Black & Decker, you name it, and all of them have the pesky shutoff feature. Most will shut off even while the iron is moving!! Some have to be unplugged to restart them.

The Brentwood is light-weight and after five months of constant use it is still working well. The steam is moderate. If I need more moisture, I just keep a mister bottle handy. I miss having the burst of steam button, but it's worth not having that feature to get rid of auto shutoff. I am going to buy another Brentwood for backup when this one wears out, because even this one may not be the same in the future.

I can tell you the iron manufacturers are not adding auto-shutoff because of customer preference - they add it because the federal government makes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House