Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I

Put lockers in the mud room to house backpacks, instruments, etc. when the kids start school. Make them twice as big as you think you need.

Wire every room for a phone, cable, internet, etc. and put outlets in at least 2 places in each room so you can rearrange your rooms as needed.

Put a couple outlets INSIDE kitchen cabinets to charge cell phones, etc.

Put water spigots on all 4 sides of your house outside for easier lawn care.
An alternative to lockers is to build small vertical shelves for each person. We did thins becuase we did nto have room for lockers. It is not as good as lockers but it works. Each shelf is about 2'x2' (a litle bigger), and easily holds a half dozen pairs of shoes/boots, a pair od floves, hat and a backpack. It would be nice to have them bigger, but it works as is. We stacked them by age/height. Thus, Dad's shelf is way up high then Mom's then on down the line in order of height.

WE put in full wiring for telephone, computer (CAT5) and cable TV. THe telephone ende dup being a waste. We use wireless phones and only have the base unit plugged in in one location. We use wireless internet so the CAT5 cable was a waste, we ended up not using most of the Cable TV outlets. But then I have a very low opinion of the vlaue of current television programming, so we do not really want TV in every room.

OUtles in a kitchen cabinet is a great idea. I put a charging area with 8 outlets in a closet, but it it not very useful. It is behind the haning clothes and difficult to access, plus I eneded up putting sweaters on the shelf, so the chargers got buried. What I learned is that if you ahve a charging area, it nees to be really easily accessible. Something where you cna just grab your phone ont he way out the door.

We often wish that we have more water spigots. Not just on all 4 dies, but on different parts of eah side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
I would start on paper, front entry, what do you want to walk into, where do you go immediately after walking in the door, what do you want to see when you walk in the door..kinda like planning what you do,

what type of view do you want to see out the windows, stuff like that.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM

88 posts, read 236,929 times
I was also picky concerning the purchase of a home. I could not find any that I really liked so I drew up the plans myself & took them to an architect & had my home constructed by a local custom builder on land that I had previously purchased. One of the best decisions that I have made. Still love the house that I had built in the 90's.

Floor plans & decorating are an individual taste. The area where you live is important on choice too for certain items.

I like my large walk-in closets that can be used for storm shelter if needed besides all of the storage they provide. Larger bedroom area for individual privacy. Floors that are easy to clean & maintain as we have pets.
Tiled baseboards. My screened room which overlooks a lake with lots of shrubs/flowers, wildlife in the backyard. Lots of windows lakeside for fresh air when temperature is cooler & ceiling fans in each room to circulate either fresh air or the air-conditioning. A hip roof on the house. Open floor plan with a nice view from each room in the house. Lots of cabinet space in the kitchen with island & pantry. Tiled bathrooms with extra large shower in one of them. These are a few of the general things that I especially like about my house.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,819,718 times
Just my opinion, so you might find these unnecessary or just boring, but here it goes:

1. Really, really long vertical windows. In every room possible. I really, really don't like small windows or long, horizontal ones.

2. High ceilings, an absolute must. Not two-story ceilings, one story, but very high ones. No low ceiling house looks good to me, no matter how beautiful it is. It is the very first thing I look in a house, a complete deal breaker if I were to buy one.

3. Double ovens. I love to cook and surely don't want a cake smelling like a roasted chicken. And marble countertops. I am quite familiar with granite, and as much as people say marble stains easily, I would rather be extra careful with stains on my counter and have the gorgeous look only marble has.

4. Many electrical outlets. It is just plain ugly to bundle a ton of wires or use extension cords bc you have very few ones.

I am sure there is a lot of other things but right off the bat these are the ones I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House