Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

I need to hire someone to replace a shower pan in a stabnd-up shower. Also, we might have the tiles replaced too (depending on cost). I've never hired someone to do remodeling work in a bathroom before and need guidance.

Like:

Who do you hire to do this sort of work, and what sort of questions should I ask while interviewing?

How much should I expect to spend for a project like this?

Is it better to get one of those "bath fitter" type surroinds or have the pan replaced?

Any other advice for a project like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Your options are to have a tile setter, handyman, and possibly a plumber do the job. Of the three, a tile setter will do the best job. Cost can range from say $300 to redo the pan going on up to $3,500+ for a full replacement. It mainly depends on the cost of the tile you select and if you're replacing fixtures (shower heads go from $125 to $1,500+). It might be cheaper to get one of those fiberglass surrounds, but it will also look cheaper.

Questions to ask:
Years in business
How many showers done
References
What's a pre-slope?
What materials he uses
Liability insurance
I'd also check out www.johnbridge.com to see what advice they might have. It's a site where professional tilers help DIYers to do their own jobs.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Is it better to get one of those "bath fitter" type surroinds or have the pan replaced?
Shower pan replacement varies depending on the old system and what's under it. I went with one of those premade/presloped kits that included the preslope foam shower pan, curb, drain assembly, fleece membrane and fitted corners. I hired a local contractor to help with the things I wasn't comfortable with. Overall it took a couple of hours over a few days to get it all installed with contractor help and me doing the grunt work.
This is an example of the kits:
Schluter Systems Ditra Kerdi Pro Source Center distributor Abrasives Power Tools, Flooring Materials

Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 AM

235 posts, read 1,577,917 times
I would look for licensed professionals for the job. A good start for locating them is thru a local chamber or BNI group. I belong to a BNI group here in Trinity, Fl.

looks like these group may be close to you:

Loudoun Chamber of Commerce

BNI Northern Virginia - Business Networking and Business Referrals - Business Network International

Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
A shower pan needs to be set skillfully so that there are no voids below it that will crack the floor tile you will no doubt put over it. And it must properly seal the drain. A tile setter or a plumber.

The rest of the tile in the shower is cosmetic and you can DIY.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Normanyy a tile set repalce the pan and a plumber does nay plumbig needed. Most plumbers have tile setters they can recommend if you know your plumber.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 42,417 times
Default you can start here

For how much tile you need do the calculations yourself
[url=http://www.flooringsupplyshop.com/index.php?main_page=calculator]Flooring Calculator : Flooring Supply Shop, Flooring and Floors Heating Supply Discount Warehouse[/url]
you should also ask how much the tile contractor charges per square feet...
bargain...may be even get the materials and just get him to do the job . i think it can save you money.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
We did ours ourself. I hope it sounds right, but I was the laborer.
Here's what I remember.

Good subflooring
black waterproof paper
lotsa cement stuff, goop it all around where the pan is going to sit, (cover drain 1st!)
set pan, jiggle it to get cement in all the voids.
Let set

Drain install (?) I didn't pay attention

cement backerboard for tile on walls
grout, tile, let set before grouting, seal grout in a couple days

ah, just have it done, it was way too much work........

good luck!
(yes, mine is still holding up and lookin' GOOD!!!!!)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
Hire it out but buy your own tiles. Depending on where you are located, about $650.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
Rip it out yourself and save some too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House