Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM

30 posts, read 177,921 times

Advertisements

Looking at buying a house in Cary with polybutylene plumbing (and apparently copper fittings)...I know about the concern with polybutylene fittings, that the adhesive can break down and leak...but not asking about that...

I'm used to all copper, is there an issue with polybutylene leaching into the water at all? Any chemists out there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM

43,396 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timd2010 View Post
Looking at buying a house in Cary with polybutylene plumbing (and apparently copper fittings)...I know about the concern with polybutylene fittings, that the adhesive can break down and leak...but not asking about that...

I'm used to all copper, is there an issue with polybutylene leaching into the water at all? Any chemists out there?

Thanks!
Can't answer on the PB leaching, but there is no adhesive in a polybutylene water piping system. It is all mechanical fastening with barbed fittings and crimp rings.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM

792 posts, read 4,493,635 times
I'm no chemist but I haven't heard of any concerns about PB leaching into the water. The issue with PB pipes is that they get hard and brittle, due to reacting with the chlorine in the municipal water supply, and they eventually split and/or burst. This is going to happen regardless of whether you have the newer copper fittings or not. I had to replace my PB supply line 2 years ago after it split and started leaking under my house. Don't let someone try to convince you that PB with copper fittings isn't going to be a problem - it will be. Tons more info on google if you search for it.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM

379 posts, read 514,155 times
PB is safe, you can eat that $hit. You can put mustard on it and eat that $hit.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 PM

11,160 posts, read 10,740,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
PB is safe, you can eat that $hit. You can put mustard on it and eat that $hit.
Well, that's a colorful way of putting it...

Back on topic, no, PB pipes aren't going to leach. The real issue is with the fittings, which were made of aluminum. Unfortunately, the aluminum fittings will swell and contract with temperature changes, leading to eventual leaks. Also, PB does get brittle over time, and can crack or split, leading to leaks such as deratermi posted. For this reason, most municipalities are no longer considering them to be up to code, and in some, such as Jacksonville, you are required to replace PB piping when the property is sold.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,813,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timd2010 View Post

Thanks!
The polybutylene pipe itself will corrode from the inside due to chlorine in the water. Basically you can't detect it until it fails - it sort of flakes apart.

The only remedy is total replacement.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,590,913 times
Our polybutylene pipe burst last year too. Cost a fortune and had to dig up half the yard.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,855,259 times
Virtually every house in Cary built between 1978 and 1995 has Poly pipes. It has its own set of issues just like every other type of plumbing. It is not as problematic as it is made out to be when searching google though, especially with copper fittings as opposed to the acrylic used earlier in its era.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,157,943 times
Polybutylene is still used in manufactured homes and RVs. The newer the house the better. The earlier years with aluminum bands were not reliable. The material did burst laterally and did crack circumferentially (at the connections).
sacredgrooves is correct in that every plumbing system has or had had issues of some sort.
If you have replumb you might consider cpvc or pex. (I love flowguard gold cpvc! )

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM

43,396 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Virtually every house in Cary built between 1978 and 1995 has Poly pipes. It has its own set of issues just like every other type of plumbing. It is not as problematic as it is made out to be when searching google though, especially with copper fittings as opposed to the acrylic used earlier in its era.
The last time I spoke with a plumber about my PB, he said, "I wouldn't feel good to leave the house if I had PB."

He sells re-plumbs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House