Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,176,638 times

Advertisements

How much does it cost to install new windows of standard proportions, probably 3 or 4 ft by 1 or 2 ft? What are the factors involved in the price and their usual rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
Does it require a permit where you live? Do you want the installers to trim out the windows on the inside and if so with what material? What kind of caulk will they use?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM

11,153 posts, read 10,733,882 times
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'll post it again.

In the general house forum, nobody is going to be able to give you an accurate price on anything labor related. We could tell you how much the window itself costs (before taxes), but the install is totally dependent on your local economy.

You may try checking in your local forum, but the best way to find out how much it costs is to call around to window installers in your area and get estimates.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 AM

114 posts, read 572,457 times
Agreed. My dad owns a construction company in Florida, and recently came to NY to visit us, and his new grandson. While he was here, he and I did a few things around the house. We compared notes on the cost of supplies and labor around the NY area. For supplies, it's about 30% more here than if he were to buy them in Florida. As for labor, it depends on the type of job. Some things I found were basically double that of labor costs in Florida. It all depends on the area.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM

469 posts, read 1,176,638 times
I don't think I will need a permit, but I'm not sure. Inside will be trimmed with wood, and I have no clue about caulk. Radioguy, let's just say this was in Florida and you were charging a new customer. I guess this is a really general question, but I'm just trying to ballpark it to make cost projections on renovating a house. I will call around and get estimates for the actual job, but I just want a general cost estimate to see if a home purchase is financially feasible. Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM

302 posts, read 2,233,571 times
I would say anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per opening. do you want a vinyl replacement window, or a quality wood, true divided light, new contruction window?

First you have to decide on the quality of window that you want.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,544,151 times
I have been wrestling with a window replacement conundrum for a year now...so frustrating. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to just keep any of my single pane windows and just add weather stripped to the bottom/top to reduce drafts, and maybe reglaze them all. The only room that had existing double panes was an addition that is 15 years old and all the seals have been broken for years and you can't see through them. Pricing these windows (24x72") has been a nightmare. You can do anything from getting the cheapest, ugliest vinyl window (maybe $250 for window and install) to a nice wood window, cladded on the outside ($1k+). Even "in the middle" is going to cost $500-600/window. I think I've finally decided just to do sash replacement. New windows SUCK to buy, and I wouldn't do it going forward unless the window is damaged somehow...if it's purely for energy savings, truly look at how long it would take to recoup the cost of the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House